Veteran political activist Shih Ming-te (施明德) yesterday rebutted allegations of financial impropriety during the 2006 anti-corruption “red shirts” against then-president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁), as his lawsuit against former Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Tainan City councilor Wang Ding-yu (王定宇) opened at the Taiwan High Court yesterday.
Shih, accompanied by his wife, Chen Chia-chun (陳嘉君), held a news conference in front of the court building, at which they showed stacks of receipts and accounting documents, which Shih said he planned to present as evidence.
“I have managed the public’s donations scrupulously,” Shih said.
Photo: Chen Chih-chu, Taipei Times
In response to accusations by Wang and others critics that he had profited personally from the donations, he said: “People can kill me, but they must not denigrate my integrity.”
Shih sued Wang contending that Wang made false allegations against him during an appearance on a television talk show in 2007, when Wang said: “Shih is a deplorable person. He skimmed money from donations [to the red-shirt movement].”
In the first ruling, Wang was found to have tarnished Shih’s reputation and was ordered to pay NT$1 million (US$30,520 at current exchange rates) in damages.
Wang appealed the ruling at the Supreme Court, and in June the Council of Grand Justices ruled that Wang did not have to pay damages.
However, on the basis that he had new evidence to present, Shih filed a lawsuit with the Taiwan High Court which began hearing the case yesterday.
Toward the latter phase of the red-shirt movement, quarrels over accounting and use of money became a divisive issue, as Shih and other high-ranking activists came under pressure to reveal the details of the movement’s finances, since Shih had called for the public to donate NT$100 per person to show their support.
The red-shirt leaders announced on Oct. 13, 2006, that the donations they had received came to NT$111 million, of which NT$41.78 million was spent, leaving NT$62.62 million remaining.
Wang’s lawyer Chang Ching-kai (張清凱) yesterday said the court should not have granted Shih’s request for a retrial, since the Supreme Court had already made the final ruling on the case, and that during the lower-court trial, Shih had said that most of the receipts and accounting items had already been discarded or destroyed.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated