Stone slabs found near the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Islands, 東沙群島) might be from a ship from the early Ming Dynasty that sank while carrying them as cargo, and they look to be of significant archeological value, experts said.
Academia Sinica biodiversity research center member Cheng Ming-hsiu (鄭明修) said he discovered the wreckage while researching coral biodiversity in the South China Sea last month.
Cheng said the hull of the ship had mostly rotted away and he at first assumed that the stone materials were part of the ship, adding that he used the site as a waypoint to anchor and undertake research dives.
Photo: courtesy of Cheng Ming-hsiu
Driven by curiosity, the research team visited the site at low tide and discovered that what they had thought for the past decade were remnants of the ship are actually carefully cut stone slabs and columns, Cheng said.
Some of the stone slabs are more than 1.8 meters long, Cheng said, adding that the exquisite work — evenly cut with mortise joints chiseled into the sides — suggests that they might have been intended for the construction of a palace or temple.
Cheng surmised that because of the lack of metal found at the site, the ship might have been damaged by typhoons or the northeasterly monsoon winds and drifted to the northern side of the Pratas Islands.
Cheng said he had also seen a boiler in a shipwreck on the west side of the Pratas Islands approximately 6m underwater, adding that he did not know how much material has been removed by foreign ships and divers.
The nation needs to devote more funding to underwater archeology, especially as Taiwan is an island, Cheng said.
Academia Sinica underwater expert Tsang Cheng-hwa (臧振華) said that to his knowledge, there are at least four shipwreck sites to the east of the Pratas Islands, although it was the first time he had heard of the stone materials Cheng found.
It might belong to ships from the Ming or Qing dynasties that were transporting the stone materials to Southeast Asia, Tsang said.
A draft act on the conservation of underwater cultural assets was recently reviewed by the Executive Yuan, Tsang said, adding that if the draft act passes its third reading in the Legislative Yuan it would be the nation’s first law protecting culturally significant material found underwater.
While some people might confuse underwater archeology with treasure hunting, according to the UNESCO Convention on the Protection of the Underwater Cultural Heritage, underwater cultural heritages are defined as “all traces of human existence having a cultural, historical or archeological character which have been partially or totally under water, periodically or continuously, for at least 100 years.”
The definition of underwater cultural heritages does not, however, include underwater cables or other devices currently in use and on the ocean floor.
The convention was adopted in 2001, but has only come into effect as of 2009.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as