The armed forces on Thursday unveiled a next-generation assault rifle developed by the Armament Bureau’s 205th Armory.
The gold-plated model XT-105 rifle displayed at a press event in Kaohsiung was the first off the production line. The 205th Armory started developing the weapon in 2012.
The rifle is designed to meet the stringent tactical requirements of modern urban warfare, counterterrorism and close quarters combat, the armory said.
Dubbed a multiutilization special rifle (MSR), the 5.56mm by 45mm weapon is designed for versatility and can be fitted with barrels of three different lengths — 300mm, 360mm and 450mm.
It can also be outfitted with attachments, sights and optical scopes without the need for additional gun mounts and railing systems.
The weapon ejects spent shells forward to the right so there is no danger of burns to the operator.
The next-generation weapon features high accuracy and low recoil, an ambidextrous design and a collapsible stock for easy handling.
The weapon also forgoes the three-round burst firing mode, allowing for a more manageable fully automatic mode at a lower rate of fire.
Although the 205th Armory declined to give details, it said it may consider export of the X105, which can be customized to buyers’ needs.
The 205th Armory also showcased the XT-104, a 9mm sub-machine gun with low recoil that can be easily operated, even by novices; the K1 pistol with a laser-guided sight; and a close quarters combat version of the armed forces’ mainstay T-91 rifle, with a shorter barrel.
The 205th Armory traces its roots to the Qing Dynasty, when it was known as the Suzhou Western Artillery Bureau under imperial rule.
It moved to Kaohsiung as part of the retreat to Taiwan in 1949 after the Nationalists were defeated by Chinese Communist forces in the Chinese Civil War.
Since then, the 205th Armory has developed a number of weapons for the armed forces, including the T65 and T91 assault rifles, the T-75 20mm cannon, and various other small arms.
A video allegedly featuring retired general Kao An-kuo (高安國) calling on Taiwanese military officers to surrender to China and overthrow the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) government has sparked outrage and calls for him to be charged with treason. The video, titled “A message to Taiwanese military officers,” allegedly shows Kao saying: “I call on commanding officers of our military troops to stand up for Chinese nationalism, to take up this duty under heaven’s mandate to save Taiwanese from oppression and terrible suffering.” Dressed in military fatigues and a beret, the lieutenant general called on officers to overthrow the “fraudulent DPP regime,”
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday rejected the claim Beijing has been making about Taiwan’s status, while thanking US Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman for raising concerns about Taiwan during her meeting with Chinese officials. Sherman met with Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) on a visit to Tianjin on Sunday and Monday, with Wang urging Washington not to infringe on China’s sovereignty and territorial integrity. Taiwan is part of China, a fundamental fact that would never change, and China has the right to take any action needed to restrain Taiwanese independence, Wang said, urging Washington to abide
HASTY REVIEW CLAIMS: Medigen’s vaccine, which is to start phase 3 clinical trials later this year, should not have received emergency use authorization, Hau said Former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) vice chairman Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) is to appeal the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) authorization of Medigen Vaccine Biologics’ COVID-19 vaccine, he said yesterday. The administration on July 19 granted Medigen emergency use authorization, even though the drugmaker had not yet completed phase 3 clinical trials. The government should not authorize the use of a vaccine that has not completed phase 3 trials, Hau said in Taipei on the sidelines of an event to distribute boxed meals with former president Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and Broadcasting Corp of China chairman Jaw Shaw-kong (趙少康). Hau said the government had politicized
ELDERLY AT RISK: Centers for Disease Control Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang said 90 percent of those who died in a local outbreak were aged 60 or older Taiwan won plaudits for its successful containment of COVID-19 last year, which made its recent virus resurgence all the more surprising. Data show that it was unusually deadly, as well. While Taiwan has seen fewer than 800 COVID-19 deaths in total, 500 of them occurred last month alone, amid its biggest virus wave to date. The pathogen got through the stringent border curbs that had kept local infections at bay for most of last year, seeding an outbreak that tore through the then-largely unvaccinated elderly population. This pushed the case-fatality ratio to as high as that seen in Italy and the UK