The problem-plagued Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system in Taichung, launched in July last year, is to be abolished after Taichung Mayor Lin Chia-lung (林佳龍) yesterday announced that the BRT lanes would be replaced with “optimized, dedicated bus lanes” starting on July 8.
Lin made the announcement at a city administration meeting.
He declined to describe the move as the “abortion” of the system, instead calling the city’s existing system “stillborn,” as BRT buses do not possess exclusive road rights or priority traffic signals, and the BRT traffic control center cannot communicate directly with the buses while they are on the road or at its stations.
Photo: Liao Yao-tung, Taipei Times
Under the new policy, existing BRT lanes would be exclusively for public buses that currently run on the dedicated bus-only lanes on Taiwan Boulevard (台灣大道) — the main road through the heart of the city — while BRT double-carriage buses would continue to run on the lanes after concerns over safety are addressed, the Taichung Transportation Bureau said.
About 30 percent of the public buses on Taiwan Boulevard would then be allowed to travel on the dedicated bus-only lanes, leaving slower lanes for motorists and motorcyclists, while at lease two bus lines on Taiwan Boulevard would continue to operate on the slow lanes for passengers using minor stations, the bureau said.
All the buses running on the “optimized dedicated bus lanes” would have a uniform look so that they can be easily identified, Lin said.
Photo: Liao Yao-tung, Taipei Times
“Their new livery will become Taichung’s new mobile landmark,” he added.
Lin said that decision would save the city government NT$28 billion (US$893.1 million) previously allocated for the completion of existing BRT lanes — and an additional five BRT lanes — adding that the money would be used to improve the city’s traffic management.
The city government contracted a team of experts to examine and review the BRT system after Lin took office in December last year.
The report was concluded on Saturday.
Lin said that the “optimized dedicated bus lanes” program integrates two proposals — “BRT Plus Bus” and “Pure Bus” — among the four suggested by the team.
The other two suggestions — “Pure BRT” and “BRT Plus Bus plus priority traffic signals” — were not accepted, after an evaluation found the difficulties in implementation were insuperable, Lin said.
The BRT system was the subject of heated debate among Taichung candidates in the nine-in-one elections in November last year.
When the system was launched by then-mayor Jason Hu (胡志強) of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT), Lin, a member of the Democratic Progressive Party, criticized Hu for rushing it through in a bid to garner votes in his re-election effort.
Lin said yesterday that the system was a failure in its establishment and operation.
Some motorists have complained about traffic congestion and what they describe as difficulty changing lanes, since BRT stations and lines were built on the islands between slow and express lanes.
A motorist surnamed Liu (劉) expressed disapproval of the new program, saying it would not make it any easier to change lanes and could increase the likelihood of an accident with more public buses running on the lanes.
Having the BRT lanes accommodate so many buses would only slow traffic, an unidentified KMT Taichung city councilor reportedly said, adding that Lin opposed the BRT just because it was a project of Hu’s.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications later yesterday said that it would not ask the Taichung City Government to return the NT$163 million appropriated by the city to subsidize the construction of the BRT system.
The budget was given to the city to build the bus system and for the operator to purchase buses, ministry official Hu Ti-chi (胡迪琦) said, adding that, as the city plans to continue using the facilities despite the decision it made regarding the BRT lanes yesterday, the ministry would not ask the city to return the money.
Two people were killed and another nine injured yesterday after being stung by hornets while hiking in New Taipei City’s Rueifang District (瑞芳), with officials warning against wearing perfume or straying from trails during the autumn to avoid the potentially deadly creatures. Seven of the hikers only sustained minor injuries after being stung along the Bafenliao Hiking Trail (八分寮) and made their way down the mountain with a guide, the New Taipei City Fire Department said. Four of them — all male — sustained more serious injuries and were assisted when leaving the mountain, the department said. Two of them, a man surnamed
Recent movements by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) have been “highly unusual,” but the military maintains a grasp of the situation, Minister of National Defense Chiu Kuo-cheng (邱國正) said on Friday, after the military for the first time said it was monitoring troop movements in China’s Dacheng Bay (大埕灣). The minister gave the remarks to reporters before appearing at the legislature on the first day of its new session. The Ministry of National Defense on Thursday evening released an air force surveillance photograph of a PLA Shaanxi Y-8 anti-submarine aircraft, and said it was monitoring the PLA Rocket Force and ground
‘ABNORMITY’: News of the military exercises on the coast of the Chinese province facing Taiwan were made public by the Ministry of National Defense on Thursday Taiwan’s military yesterday said it has detected the Chinese military initiating a round of exercises at a bay area in coastal Fujian Province, which faces Taiwan, since early yesterday morning and it has been closely monitoring the drills. The exercises being conducted at Fujian’s Dacheng Bay featured an undisclosed number of People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA) warplanes, warships and ground troops, the Ministry of National Defense said in a press statement. The ministry did not disclose what kind of military exercises are being conducted there and for how long they would be happening, but it did say that it has been closely watching
China’s Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Hong Kong has asked foreign consulates in Hong Kong to submit details of their local staff, which is more proof that the “one country, two systems” model no longer exists, a Taiwanese academic said. The office sent letters dated Monday last week to consulates in the territory, giving them one month to submit the information it requires. The move followed Beijing’s attempt to obtain floor plans for all properties used by foreign missions in Hong Kong last year, which raised concerns among diplomats that the information could be used for