A set of events are planned for tomorrow to mark the one-year anniversary of the overnight occupation of the Executive Yuan’s (EY) main building and compound, an offshoot of the student-led Sunflower movement, which saw a violent crackdown that left several hundreds of protesters injured.
“The events will let us think back to what happened when we participated in the movement between March 18 and April 10 and exchange views on its impacts,” said Wu Cheng (吳崢), a student participant in the movement, which reflected public concerns over cross-strait ties forged under President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九).
Now a leader of Democracy Tautin (民主鬥陣), one of the many youth activist groups that sprouted from the movement centering on the 24-day occupation of the legislature’s main chamber, Wu said: “It’s important that Sunflower participants recollect why were we there, what we realized at that time that drive us to take part in the movement.”
The crackdown ordered by then-premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) and outgoing National Police Agency director-general Wang Cho-chiun (王卓鈞) on midnight March 23 last year that forcibly dispersed protesters from the Executive Yuan by early morning should never be forgotten, Wu told a press conference.
Wu said the Sunflower movement was an act of civil disobedience action and should not have been regarded as a riot and treated with violent use of force by police.
The events, to be held from 3pm to 10pm on the section of Qingdao E Road between Zhongshan S Road and Zhenjiang Street, next to the legislature where thousands of protesters had gathered during the siege, is to bring together photographs, video, written stories and drawings collected from the public and feature stalls, forums and performances by bands to recreate the movement.
Alliance of Referendum for Taiwan convener Tsay Ting-kuei (蔡丁貴) said the events would remind the public of what the protesters had advocated and continue to advocate for.
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Huang Wei-che (黃偉哲) said the legacy the Sunflower movement has left is worthy of reflection.
Huang said Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) has taken measures to address the problem of excessive use of force by police by demanding officers keep their badges visible when enforcing the law.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy