Mainland Affairs Council Minister Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) promised to protest against China’s attempt to open contentious air routes, which are considered a threat to the nation’s sovereignty, at upcoming high-level cross-strait talks, but insisted that the negotiations should not get bogged down by the issue, a lawmaker said yesterday.
Wang has failed to agree to the Taiwan Solidarity Union’s (TSU) demand that he cut off negotiations with China’s Taiwan Affairs Office Minister Zhang Zhijun (張志軍) if Beijing refuses to cancel the decision to open the routes on March 5, TSU Legislator Lai Cheng-chang (賴振昌) said.
Lai made the remarks after attending a closed-meeting meeting yesterday, at which Wang briefed Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) and whips in each party caucus on issues set to be raised at the cross-strait summit in Kinmen this weekend.
Wang Yu-chi rejected another TSU demand that the list of the 33-member Chinese delegation be shared with lawmakers, citing a concern that it could be leaked to the media, Lai said. However, a compromise was reached after he agreed to give Wang Jin-pyng the information for his eyes only.
“We wanted to make sure that no one associated with the People’s Liberation Army or Chinese intelligence is among the entourage, because Kinmen is an armed military fortress on the front line of the Taiwan Strait,” Lai said.
Council Planning Department Director Hu Ai-ling (胡愛玲) dismissed the concern that the Chinese delegation would make use of the trip to Kinmen to spy on sensitive military facilities, saying that the group would be escorted by Taiwanese officials throughout the trip.
The legislature adopted a resolution on Jan. 16 denouncing China’s unilateral announcement on Jan. 12 to open a north-south M503 route that runs close to the median line of the Taiwan Strait, coming as close to it as 7.8km, and to establish three more routes — W121, W122 and W123 — that run east-west and serve as feeder routes for the M503.
During the briefing, Wang Yu-chi told lawmakers that he would sternly express Taiwan’s stance opposing the designated routes at his meeting with Zhang, Wang Jin-pyng told reporters yesterday.
Wang Yu-chi and Zhang would address allegedly illegal fishing by Chinese vessels in waters off Kinmen, alleged illegal beach sand mining by Chinese boats, large amounts of trash from China washing up on Kinmen beaches and boosting Kinmen’s tourism, council spokesperson Wu Mei-hung (吳美紅) said.
The meeting between Wang Yu-chi and Zhang is to be the third meeting between the two men.
They met in Nanjing in February last year, the first time government ministers from across the Taiwan Strait held talks in their official capacities since 1949.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as