The city government is considering requiring design changes to the Taipei Dome construction project, Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) said yesterday.
“Frankly speaking, we think that changes are warranted to the design,” Ko said. “How to evacuate in the case of an emergency is something that concerns me greatly as mayor.”
He said that because traffic on Zhongxiao E Road, which borders the project site, is congested during rush hours, there are concerns about what would happen if 60,000 people had to be evacuated from the completed facility.
Photo: CNA
Ko said the city government was considering clearing some office space on Guangfu S Road to open up additional evacuation routes, adding that the city would have to thoroughly research potential changes to zoning and traffic flow before negotiating with Farglory Land Development Co (遠雄建設), to which the city outsourced the project.
Any city government demands for design changes to the project could further complicate existing talks to renegotiate the project contract.
Ko said the city government has not yet laid out a clear position on whether royalties that the firm must pay to the city government should be raised because of design changes, which would affect Farglory’s bottom line.
Meanwhile, Ko said the city government is on weak legal ground compared with real-estate developer Radium Life Tech Co, though he expressed confidence that the firm would fall in line with city demands over the MeHAS City development project.
The firm has been accused of benefiting from allegedly forged cost estimates by city officials that were used to apportion profits for the joint development project, with Ko last month demanding that the firm fork over NT$7.6 billion (US$240.4 million), an estimate of how much the city has been short-charged.
On Monday, Ko said the company’s actions amounted to “eating human flesh with a knife and fork,” saying they were wrong even if nothing was done illegally.
“Because many actions are ‘legal,’ but not reasonable, if we fight on legal grounds, there is a high probability that the city will lose,” Ko said yesterday, adding that one major reason was that, unlike corporations, the city could not afford to hire the best lawyers and accountants.
However, Ko expressed confidence that the firm would get in line, because it was implicated in a “pile” of related cases that could give the city leverage over the firm.
He said the city government would consider entering into mediation with Radium Life Tech to resolve disputes over the MeHAS City project, but not on the core issue that the firm should compensate the city for the amount it is accused of owing.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as