The Health Promotion Administration yesterday cautioned the public against drunk driving, which killed an average of one person every two days last year.
“According to statistics compiled by the Ministry of the Interior, between 2012 and last year, drunk driving fatalities peaked during January and February, the time of year companies hold year-end banquets,” Health Promotion Administration Director-General Chiou Shu-ti (邱淑媞) said at a press conference in Taipei yesterday morning.
Chiou said a total of 115,253 drunk-driving cases were reported last year, resulting in 169 deaths, meaning that, on average, every two days one person died in an alcohol-related car accident.
In addition to endangering the lives of others, consumption of alcohol has been associated with health problems, including high blood pressure, liver cirrhosis, strokes and breast, stomach, esophageal and rectal cancers, Chiou said.
“Alcohol intake is proportional to the risk of developing health issues. For example, people who drink the equivalent of 25g, 50g and 100g of pure alcohol per day are 2.9, 7.1 and 26.5 times more likely to develop liver cirrhosis than their non-drinking counterparts,” Chiou said.
WHO estimates attribute the harmful use of alcohol to about 3.3 million premature deaths worldwide per year, accounting for 5.9 percent of total overall deaths, Chiou said.
“More alarming was that a survey conducted by the administration in 2013 which showed that about 60 percent of respondents aged 18 and older have consumed alcohol and 20 percent of them have been drunk,” she said.
Chiou urged businesses to adopt three measures to combat drunk driving after year-end parties: Ask all employees who have consumed alcohol take public transportation home, cooperate with taxi firms to offer a ride home and assign two people at each table to be the designated drivers for less sober colleagues.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as