Paraguayan President Horacio Cartes has reassured Taiwan that his country will continue to maintain cordial and stable diplomatic relations with Taiwan after he shared a stage with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) at an international event, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday.
Cartes attended an event organized by the embassy of the Republic of China to Paraguay in Asuncion on Friday and told Ambassador Jose Maria Liu (劉德立) that the diplomatic relationship between the two countries would remain the same, said an official at the ministry, who wished to remain anonymous.
In response to media inquiries, the ministry yesterday confirmed that Cartes had attended the summit between China and presidents of 11 countries belonging to the Union of South American Nations, known as UNASUR, on Wednesday last week in Brasilia, Brazil, where he met with Xi.
The ministry’s understanding was that Cartes was at the summit because Paraguay is a member of UNASUR and that he left early because he had other engagements back in Paraguay, ministry spokesperson Anna Kao (高安) said.
Kao said that the ministry was assured that there was no bilateral meeting between Cartes and Xi when they were both at the summit.
The anonymous official said that Cartes was present at the opening reception of the event in Asuncion held to showcase achievements of bilateral cooperative projects and he told Liu that his conversation with Xi did not go beyond ordinary greetings.
After attending the sixth summit of BRICs on July 15 in Fortaleza, Brazil, and the meeting with UNASUR on Wednesday, Xi had a meeting with leaders of the “Quartet” members of the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States — Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador and Antigua and Barbuda — on Thursday last week.
Xi concluded his week-long trip to Latin America yesterday after visiting Argentina, Venezuela and Cuba.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as