Executive Yuan spokesman Sun Li-chun (孫立群) yesterday announced the date for the first preparatory meeting for a national affairs conference on economics, which is scheduled to be held in late July.
“In an effort to solicit a wide range of opinions, the Executive Yuan has invited 20 prominent figures from various sectors of society to serve as its advisers,” Sun said.
“The advisers are to meet for the first time on Sunday,” he added.
The spokesperson said the issues to be discussed during the meeting included ways of dealing with the global trend of regional economic integration, the concrete measures needed for the nation to participate in regional economic integration and the challenges it may encounter, as well as the correlation between its cross-strait policies and economic development.
“The advisers are also due to reach a consensus during the meeting on the date for the economic conference, the manner it should be held and the method for selecting its representatives,” Sun said.
The spokesman said the conference was meant to serve as a platform to allow “all the people of Taiwan to participate, express their thoughts and exchange their opinions with others.”
President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) administration in late March agreed to hold the conference in an effort to resolve the controversies surrounding the cross-strait service trade agreement.
The discontent with government’s handling of the signing of the pact prompted a three-week-long student-led occupation of the Legislative Yuan between March 18 and April 10 and a brief takeover of the Executive Yuan on March 23.
The pact was signed in June last year and would open 80 Chinese service sub-sectors to Taiwan and 64 Taiwanese service sub-sectors to China.
Opponents of the trade pact have repeatedly voiced grave concerns over its potential impact on workers’ livelihood and on the nation’s security.
According to the National Development Council’s preliminary plan, regional meetings are to be held on a weekly basis across the country starting late next month before the national conference is staged, in an effort to expand citizens’ participation in the matter, Sun said.
“In order to solicit younger generations’ opinions and increase government transparency, we also plan to use popular social networking sites, such as Twitter and Facebook, as a communication channel for the national conference,” Sun said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as