The death of a woman shortly after a miscarriage in her fourth month of pregnancy has been linked to an Escherichia coli infection following her amniocentesis, an amniotic fluid test that is generally recommended for older women to look for birth defects.
The woman’s mother, Huang Mei-hung (黃美鴻), attributed the deaths of her daughter and the fetus to the procedure performed by obstetrician Lee Chien-chung (李建忠) at the Mei Tsun Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinic and demanded to know why the family’s happiness had become a tragedy.
Lee said he also “blamed himself.”
National Kaohsiung Normal University chief secretary Fang Hsin-yuan (方信元) said the woman, surnamed Chen (陳), had gone into septic shock before she was sent to the hospital, adding that the hospital turned to antibiotics as a last resort to save her life.
“We were able to identify the bacteria as the deadly Escherichia coli using a culture. Although Chen had responded to the antibiotic therapy, it did not stop her condition from deteriorating rapidly,” Fang said.
Lee added that a preliminary investigation has ruled out unsanitary equipment as the cause of Chen’s infection, but the actual cause has yet to be determined.
Chen became pregnant at the end of last year at age 34 and was advised to have the amniotic fluid test on March 7 at the Greater Taichung clinic.
“My daughter had been living with her husband in Taichung since they got married after she graduated from National Kaohsiung Normal University… She was so happy after the procedure and told me she was carrying a healthy baby boy,” Huang said.
Huang said Chen developed a fever and discomfort right after she arrived home. She was rushed to Greater Taichung’s China Medical University Hospital on March 9, after her symptoms continued to worsen.
“The doctor told us that my daughter’s baby no longer had a heartbeat and that he had to induce labor to expel the dead fetus. What we did not expect was that she would die of infection-induced septicemia on March 20,” Huang said.
Lee said he wished he had not performed the procedure on Chen.
“There is a 0.1 percent to 0.3 percent chance of infection, miscarriage and stillbirth for women having the procedure, but the possibility of infection developing into septicemia is almost non-existent,” Lee said.
Lee said he had performed the procedure for the past two decades without a patient developing complications.
“Nevertheless, Mrs Chen still died of septicemia and I blame myself for that,” Lee said. “I think Chen’s amniotic fluid could have leaked from the entry site of the needle and caused the infection,” he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as