Tests on 30 types of melamine resin food containers showed that five contained formaldehyde and one contained amounts of melamine that exceeded safe levels, the Consumer Protection Committee said yesterday, adding that a request had been made to take the products out of circulation.
Melamine resin containers are widely used for storing food and are especially popular in snack bars because they are cheap, heat resistant and shockproof. However, poorly made containers may pose health risks, the committee said.
Consumer ombudsman Wang Teh-ming (王德明) said the committee collected samples of 30 types of melamine food containers and eating utensils from five cities and counties across the nation last month, and commissioned the Department of Health to conduct dissolution tests on the samples and the Ministry of Economic Affairs to inspect the products’ labels.
Photo: Yang Chiu-ying, Taipei Times
The test results showed that five containers released formaldehyde and one released excessive amounts of melamine after holding 95°C water for 30 minutes, in violation of the Sanitation Standards for Utensils, Containers and Packages (食品器具容器包裝衛生標準).
Cheng Wei-chih (鄭維智), an official at the department’s Food and Drug Administration, said ingesting too much formaldehyde may harm the stomach or other organs, while melamine ingestion could lead to abnormal concretion or tissue proliferation in the body.
Poor-quality or cracked containers have a high possibility of secreting formaldehyde, melamine, or other toxic heavy metal substances into food, he said, adding that cracked, worn-out and chapped containers should be immediately discarded.
Although melamine resin food containers can resist temperatures of about 120°C, it is best not to use them for boiling-hot food, Wang said, adding that the containers should not be put in microwave ovens, ultra-violet sterilizers, or used in high temperatures. He also said that they should be washed with neutral detergent and not be scrubbed with rough sponges.
Moreover, a product label inspection showed that 28 of the 30 samples did not provide all of the required product information, such as material composition, temperature resistance, manufacturer and caution notices.
The six containers that failed the test as well as the majority of sampled items were made in China.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as