The number of young children and infants abandoned across the country has increased, the Child Welfare League Foundation (CWLF) said yesterday as it called for greater public awareness of child abandonment and donations to foster care services.
Research by the foundation showed that between 2007 and this year, 169 cases of child abandonment were reported in the media, of which 28 children died as a result of abandonment. Only sixteen cases were reported by the media last year, but this year, 17 cases had already been reported through the end of last month.
According to statistics compiled by the Ministry of the Interior (MOI), more than 2,000 children and babies were abandoned nationwide over the past five years, with the highest abandonment rates occurring in less well-to-do regions, such as Hualien, Taitung, Taoyuan and Changhua.
Photo courtesy of the Child Welfare League Foundation
Meanwhile, financial hardship was cited as the reason for putting children up for adoption by 75 percent of people seeking help from the CWLF, showing that as economic conditions in Taiwan deteriorate, young children and infants are at higher risk of being abandoned, the foundation said.
“We urge people to seek assistance before resorting to abandonment. Many NGOs [non-governmental organizations], like CWLF, can help families find resources and obtain services so they can keep their children,” Pai Li-fang (白麗芳), director of the foundation’s division of social services, told a press conference yesterday.
Having found permanent homes for 591 children through adoption over the past 20 years, the foundation said the average time it takes to complete the adoption process is 510 days and the most difficult part is to find matches between adoptive families and waiting children.
“Adoptive parents come to us with certain expectations for the type of children they want to adopt. They usually want healthy babies who come from problem-free families, but if families don’t have problems, why would they decide to put children up for adoption?” Pai said.
Aboriginal children and children of Southeast Asian immigrants also have difficulties finding adoptive families because “there still exist stereotypes and discrimination against minorities,” Pai said.
Age is another problem. According to the information compiled by the CWLF over the past year, 31 percent of adoptive parents only accept babies younger than one year old, while more than 73 percent of the applicants are unwilling to adopt children older than three. Youngsters more than five years old have only a 5 percent chance of finding homes through adoption.
“So we have many adoptive parents complaining about the difficulty adopting on the one hand, and on the other, we have a large number of children unable to find adoptive families,” Pai said.
Currently, the foundation has 60 waiting children in 50 temporary foster homes.
The number of children put up for adoption through agencies like the CWLF is expected to increase because a new amendment to the Protection of Children and Youths Welfare and Rights Act (兒童及少年福利與權益保障法) stipulates that adoption proceedings need to be carried out by licensed agencies. Previously, adoption could be handled between biological and adoptive parents verifying the decision in court, Pai said.
The amendment came into effect on May 30.
According to Pai, about 2,700 children are adopted each year, one-third of whom are adopted by persons who are not related to the children.
“Among the 900 non-related adoption cases, nearly 400 children were sent overseas for adoption, leaving about 500 children put up for adoption through the nine licensed adoption agencies in the country,” she added. “We hope more families can join our temporary foster care services because more children will be placed under our care.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as