Pan-green camp lawmakers yesterday said President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and Council of Labor Affairs (CLA) Minister Jennifer Wang (王如玄) should both be held accountable for the reported suspension of a planned minimum wage hike, an action the lawmakers said “betrayed the nation’s workers.”
Wang was reportedly upset about her inability to reverse Minister Without Portfolio Kuan Chung-ming’s (管中閔) opposition to the proposal to raise the minimum monthly wage to NT$19,047 (US$650) next year from the current NT$18,780.
“We want to express our anger to the Premier Sean Chen (陳冲)-led Cabinet — an administration dominated by corporate interests — and call for Minister Wang to resign,” Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Tsai Huang-liang (蔡煌瑯) told a press conference.
The alleged suspension, Tsai said, was “another bounced check” among Ma’s campaign pledges, which promised to raise hourly wages to NT$115.
DPP lawmakers also issued a warning to Chen about the scheduled electricity rate increase on Dec. 10 and advised the administration to call off the increase.
The government’s insistence on raising fuel and electricity prices was the primary reason for domestic inflation rising this year, Tsai said, adding that “there is no doubt that the government is the prime culprit of current levels of inflation and the stagnant economy.”
“If the administration does not freeze the planned increase of electricity rates before the new legislative session opens on Tuesday, we will not hesitate to stage the strongest protest possible against the Premier’s scheduled report to the legislature,” Tsai said.
While the Ma administration said it planned to raise the wages “once the economic climate gets better,” it said earlier this year that the fuel and electricity prices hikes “could not wait,” DPP Legislator Huang Wei-cher (黃偉哲) said.
“That pretty much tells you the nature of this government — the profit of corporations is always higher on the agenda than people’s livelihoods,” Huang added.
The CLA’s plan is “humble” compared to labor rights groups’ recommendation of a minimum monthly wage of NT$23,151, but the Executive Yuan would not even approve the watered down plan despite labor groups being ready to accept it, DPP Legislator Lee Kun-tse (李昆澤) said.
Taiwan Solidarity Union caucus whip Huang Wen-ling (黃文玲) said Wang should resign for failing to safeguard workers’ rights, which is meant to be the ministry’s primary mission.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as