The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday urged the Ministry of Culture to fund the operations of the Public Television Service’s (PTS) high-definition (HD) channel.
The call for more funding for the nation’s first HD channel in a terrestrial TV network came following the commission’s decision to grant the channel a permit to install the infrastructure for an HD channel after four years of trial operations.
“The BBC and NHK can succeed because they have stable funding,” commission spokesperson Wong Po-tsung (翁柏宗) said. “So we hope that the administrative authorities in charge of PTS can support the HD channel with the designated budget.”
PTS was controlled by the Government Information Office, which ceased to exist on Sunday, and responsibility for the network was transferred to the ministry. According to the commission, PTS submitted the application for an official broadcasting license for an HD channel on Feb. 15, as the license for the channel’s trial operations was scheduled to expire on Tuesday last week.
Huang Chin-yi (黃金益), deputy director of the commission’s operational management department, said that the commission had been reluctant to approve the application because the license would allow PTS to operate the HD channel for nine years, but the plan submitted by PTS lacked details on how it plans to fund its operations and offer HD programs.
Huang said that the commission decided to approve the license application after it had provided more details.
“We hope that a detailed operational plan would help PTS secure more funding from its administrative authority in charge,” Huang said, referring to the ministry.
Huang added that PTS still needs to provide additional information before it can secure the operational license for the HD channel. As the bellwether of the nation’s HD programs, PTS is required to show how it plans to differentiate programming on its HD channel from that on the public broadcaster’s main channel. When it offers personnel training on producing HD programs, the courses must be open to personnel from other television stations as well.
PTS should also have plans to produce programs reflecting demographic changes, such as the increasingly ageing population, he said.
Wong said PTS had planned to fund its operations in three stages. Between next year and June 2015, the network plans to spend about NT$448 million (US$15.2 million) annually on the HD channel to cover the production and personnel costs. From July 2015 to June 2018, NT$600 million would be spent annually to fund the channel. Between July 2018 and June 2021, the fund would increase to NT$876 million per year.
In addition, PTS said it would spend NT$90 million annually to improve equipment for the HD channel.
Huang said PTS should be able to secure the official broadcasting license before the London Olympics begin in July, as the channel has been in trial operations for four years.
In related news, Videoland TV’s variety channel was fined NT$200,000 for violating the TV rating system during a talk show episode hosted by entertainer Matilda Tao (陶晶瑩).
In one of the episodes, the program invited guests to talk about their sexual experiences and featured some sex toys.
“It [the talk show] is labeled as a general rating program,” said Jason Ho (何吉森), director of the commission’s broadcasting contents department. “But the content in question could impair the physical and mental health of children and juveniles.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as