Local activists yesterday urged the government to list the country’s first hospital for leprosy patients as a national historic site, after returning from a world forum they said expressed support for the preservation of the sanatorium.
International Association for Integration, Dignity and Economic Advancement (IDEA) Taiwan director-general Chang Yun-ming (張雲明) urged Council for Cultural Affairs Minister Lung Ying-tai (龍應台) to designate Losheng (Happy Life) Sanatorium, built in the 1930s in New Taipei City’s (新北市) Sinjhuang District (新莊) to segregate leprosy patients from society, as a national historic site.
It also asked the government to monitor the construction of a nearby metrorail line to stop the land around the old facility from being further eroded.
“There has already been too much damage done, and the government needs to immediately intervene to stop the land from collapsing, restore the site and protect this precious cultural asset,” said Lin Hsiu-peng, another member of the group.
IDEA Taiwan, established in 2007, aims to protect the rights of leprosy sufferers.
Local activists have been fighting to preserve the sanatorium since 2004, when the Taipei MRT made plans to encroach on the site to build a railway depot for the planned Xinzhuang line.
They blame the line’s construction for causing land collapses near the sanatorium, which they say have led to cracks in the walls of the facility’s structures and sinkholes in its grounds.
Members of IDEA Taiwan and the Losheng Self-Help Organization traveled to New York to participate in an international forum from May 7 to Friday last week. The forum called for the listing of historic sanatoriums around the world as UNESCO cultural heritage sites.
A coalition was established after the forum by representatives from countries around the world to move the goal forward, the activists said.
They urged the Ministry of Culture, which will be inaugurated on May 21, to step up its preservation of the sanatorium and make efforts to list it as Taiwan’s first UNESCO cultural heritage site.
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Yu Mei-nu (尤美女), who attended the press conference, said that if the Ministry of Culture is concerned about preserving the history and culture of Losheng, it should also make efforts to preserve the site.
“If the land collapses, how will the cultural monument survive?” Yu said, adding: “Once it’s gone, it’s gone.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as