The Ministry of the Interior has drawn criticism for a letter asking the Taiwan Association for Justice of Urban Renewal (TAJUR) to stop distributing information on its Web site using the name “Taiwan Alliance for Victims of Urban Renewal (台灣都市更新受害者聯盟),” and threatening that the group could be disbanded if it continues to do so.
“This is a breach of freedom of expression. The ministry has no right to tell me what name my organization should use on the Internet; it’s like declaring martial law on the Internet,” association chairman Peng Lung-san (彭龍三) said yesterday. “If I want to publish articles on the Internet or in a newspaper, can the government tell me not to use a pseudonym? Of course not!”
Peng received an official letter from the ministry earlier this week, telling him that the association should not distribute information on its Web site using the name “Taiwan Alliance for Victims of Urban Renewal.”
Photo: Loa Iok-sin, Taipei Times
By doing so, Peng is violating the Civil Associations Act (人民團體法) by not using the officially registered name of the organization, the letter said.
If TAJUR ignores the warning, its permit could be voided and the group could be disbanded, the ministry said.
One of the few residents still resisting a urban renewal project initiated by a construction firm because he believes that the rights of original residents were not well protected, Peng founded his organization two years ago. Since then he has worked with many people to organize demonstrations and rallies against urban renewal projects that favor construction firms.
Peng said he first tried to register his organization as “Taiwan Alliance for Victims of Urban Renewal” but the application was turned down.
“The ministry disagreed with the name, saying that it might ‘mislead’ the public to believe that urban renewal projects are negative, and create victims,” he said in an interview with the Taipei Times, showing other official notices from the ministry rejecting his earlier ideas for the group’s name.
“We made concessions at the end, but the government never stops to giving us trouble,” he said.
“I suspect that the construction firm is behind this,” Peng said.
However, Chen Su-chun (陳素春), acting director of the ministry’s Department of Social Affairs, said the letter was sent because the ministry received complaints “from the public.”
Chen denied a construction firm had filed the complaint.
“Actually, our intention was only to assist civic groups, because they should always use their legal names when giving out information,” Chen said. “TAJUR is the only organization to receive the warning, because we’ve received complaints about the organization twice.”
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not