All motorists could be using eTags to access the freeway electronic toll collection (ETC) system as soon as next month, the National Freeway Bureau said yesterday.
The bureau last year decided to launch a free-of-charge eTag system to replace on-board units (OBU), which were priced at NT$1,199, in a bid to boost the ETC usage rate, which will allow the bureau to put in place a policy to charge motorists by distance traveled next year.
Over the past few months, the bureau has been testing the eTag system in Keelung because the city has about 8 million registered sedans, with more than 30 percent of sedan owners using the system when the trial began, which the bureau considered an ideal size for a test program.
The Keelung test program, which involved incentives to encourage people to switch to the system, was scheduled to end this month, but the bureau said it would extend the program until the eTag system is in place nationwide.
Asked when motorists in other parts of the nation could begin using eTags, the bureau said the system could be available nationwide in the middle of next month.
“When motorists in other areas can begin using eTags involves several factors, including the completion of the infrastructure and the service network surrounding the system, as well as personnel training,” said Peng Huan-ju (彭煥儒), chief of the bureau’s business division.
“Far Eastern Electronic Toll Collection Co [FETC, the contractor administering the ETC system] is scheduled to finish building all the infrastructure in the beginning of next month and we [the bureau] still need at least one to two weeks to inspect the system,” Peng said.
Statistics from the FETC showed that during the test program, more motorists had started to use the ETC system. As of yesterday, 60 percent of registered sedan owners in Keelung had eTags installed in their vehicles.
The highest daily ETC usage rate nationwide was recorded on Jan. 3, when it reached 52.39 percent of freeway motorists.
Previously, the bureau had launched a program that allowed motorists to try the ETC system before deciding if they wanted to install an OBU in their vehicle.
The bureau said all freeway toll booths would be removed next year when it would begin charging motorists by distance traveled.
Instead, a radio-frequency identification system will detect the serial numbers on eTags and calculate how many kilometers freeway users have driven.
“We hope that all the freeway users install eTags because it will be really inconvenient for them if they don’t as the payment does not automatically come out of your eTag account. However, we can only force people to put the e-Tags in their cars when the ETC usage rate exceeds 80 percent,” Peng said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as