The Taipei City Government plans to turn the abandoned Jiancheng Circle market in Datung District (大同) into a farmers’ market by the end of this year in an effort to boost sales of Taiwanese agricultural products.
The Jiancheng Circle market, a historic market that dates back to the Japanese colonial era, had been turned into a banquet venue following a failed renovation project in 2006, but closed in April because of a lack of business.
In its latest attempt to revive the site at the intersection of Chongqing N Road and Nanjing W Road, the city organized a three-day farmers’ market on the site that began on Friday, selling fruit and produce from local farmers’ associations throughout the nation.
Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) yesterday said the farmers’ market had received positive reviews from the public and successfully promoted Taiwanese produce, such as apples from Dayuling (大禹嶺), persimmons from Nantou County and oolong tea from Yilan County.
Following the trial run last weekend, the city plans to turn the site into a permanent farmers’ market by the end of this year, Hau said.
“Taiwan is a kingdom of fruit and we are hoping to expand the scale of the farmers’ market and make it a venue for local fruits and agricultural products,” he added.
Taipei Deputy Mayor Chen Hsiung-wen (陳雄文) will lead a task force to build communication channels with agriculture associations nationwide that will allow farmers from throughout Taiwan to sell their products at the Jiancheng Circle market.
The Jiancheng Circle was Taipei’s oldest food market. It was turned into a three-story glass building in 2006 as part of a large-scale renovation launched by then-Taipei mayor Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), but it was later forced to close later after the project failed to boost local businesses.
Hau’s team leased the building to a private company that turned the market into a banquet venue in 2009.
Chen said in addition to the farmers’ market, which will be located on the first floor of the three-story building, the city plans to place a food court on the second floor and set up a exhibition hall on the third floor to promote the history of the Dadaocheng (大稻埕) area.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as