People First Party (PFP) officials have had their phones tapped and their computers hacked, PFP Chairman James Soong (宋楚瑜) said.
In an interview published yesterday by online news source NOWNews, Soong was quoted as saying hackers had gained access to several party officials’ e-mail accounts, which they then used to target the party’s communication and information network by sending --e-mails embedded with viruses.
The hacking incident had severely hampered the party’s ability to provide election information and to communicate, the party’s presidential candidate was quoted as saying.
Photo: George Tsorng, Taipei Times
Soong added that he thought his phone had been tapped, saying: “Some people already knew and had prepared for things that I had only discussed over the telephone.”
“Furthering oneself by killing a rival is the act of a despicable man,” Soong said.
PFP spokesperson Wu Kun-yu (吳崑玉) yesterday said that since Soong announced his intention to run for the presidency, party officials, including Soong’s personal assistant, had all received e-mails with Trojan horse viruses.
“It is a threatening move,” Wu said, adding that its goal was to paralyze the PFP’s ability to communicate.
Thomas Lee (李桐豪), a PFP policy adviser and professor at National Chengchi University, said he had asked the university’s computer center to assist in tracing the attacks. However, the sender’s IP address could not be traced, he said.
Wu said that the computer virus prevented officials from starting up their computers, the only effective method being to reinstall the operating system, resulting in a loss of data.
Wu said the PFP has asked the Taipei City Criminal Investigation Division and the Criminal Investigation Bureau’s Ninth Investigation team to assist in the investigation.
In other news, Wu said the party yesterday afternoon sent the Central Election Commission’s Taipei branch a second batch of signatures collected for Soong’s presidential petition as the 45-day drive came to an end, bringing the number of signatures to 463,259.
Although the party received more than 500,000 signatures nationwide, Wu said some them were invalid because the terms were filled out improperly.
Additional reporting by Mo Yan-chih
Translated by Jake Chung, Staff Writer
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as