The Ministry of Justice needs to implement new rules to handle incidents of physical assault involving Chinese visitors to Taiwan, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Tsai Huang-liang (蔡煌瑯) told a press conference yesterday, following a recent incident.
A tour guide surnamed Fan (范), who attended the press conference, alleged that on Saturday he was attacked by a Chinese tourist from another group “for no reason” while taking his group to a restaurant in Taitung.
Taitung police came to the scene, but they did not make any arrests or take anyone back to the station for questioning, Fan said.
Photo: CNA
After reaching Hualien, Fan filed a complaint, after which Taitung police began questioning those who witnessed the incident, Chang said, adding that jurisdiction over the case was transferred to the Hualien District Prosecutor’s Office on Wednesday.
Prosecutor Fan Chen-chung (范振中) said that if the victim filed a complaint with the authorities, the case would be accepted.
Tsai said there had been more than 10 incidents of Chinese -tourists engaging in criminal activity since 2007, including theft, robbery and assault.
However, several cases were either closed with no charges or police simply declined to take action, he said.
“Can we expect Chinese to show up in a Taiwanese court just because we send a subpoena to their home in China?” Tsai asked, adding that police had no -recourse against Chinese who commit crimes in this country.
There have been several incidents of Taiwanese being attacked by Chinese in which the alleged perpetrator should have been detained and denied permission to leave Taiwan pending investigation, Tsai said, adding that he planned to ask the ministry to write a new set of rules to deal with such situations.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as