Taiwan yesterday announced an immediate relaxation of some visa application requirements for Filipino workers after Manila replaced its immigration chief in an apparent effort to resolve a diplomatic dispute between the two sides.
Philippine President Benigno Aquino III has named Ricardo David Jr to replace Ronaldo Ledesma as commissioner of the Bureau of Immigration, the Philippines’ Malacanang Palace said in a statement yesterday.
On Monday, the Philippines Department of Justice also removed Faizal Hussin from his post as head of the Bureau of Immigration Intelligence Division and appointed Maria Antonette Bucasas as his replacement.
Photo: Pichi Chuang, REUTERS
The two personnel changes were viewed by Taiwan as a form of apology from the Philippines for deporting 14 Taiwanese fraud suspects to China on Feb. 2, which resulted in a month-long rift between Taiwan and the Philippines.
“With these changes, the Philippine government has shown goodwill and regret,” Minister of Foreign Affairs Timothy Yang (楊進添) told a press conference.
“The Republic of China government announces the immediate relaxation of some visa application requirements for Filipino workers,” he said.
However, Taiwan’s other retaliatory measures against Manila will remain in place for now, the ministry said. They include an extension — from 12 days to up to four months — on the process for screening applications by Filipinos seeking to work in Taiwan.
In addition, Taiwan is planning to recall its representative to the Philippines, although it has not yet set a date for doing so. On Feb. 10, the Taiwan government also announced that Filipinos would be required to submit their Social Security System Card, instead of any other social security document, as part of their application to work in Taiwan. Taiwan had been seeking an apology from Manila, which cited its “one China” policy as the reason for sending the fraud suspects to China instead of to Taiwan.
Antonio Basilio, managing director of the Manila Economic and Cultural Office (MECO) — the Philippines’ de facto representative office in Taiwan — said his office appreciated “the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ efforts in resolving this issue and we look forward to further strengthening our friendship.”
MECO Chairman Amadeo Perez Jr sent a letter to the ministry on Tuesday, under the authorization of Aquino, reassuring Taipei that Manila was taking steps to resolve the dispute, Yang told reporters.
In the letter, Perez reiterated the Philippines’ “deepest regrets” for any hurt feelings the incident may have caused and recognized Taiwan’s allegations of possible lapses and mishandling by Philippine immigration authorities.
Perez said MECO has initiated a process for establishing a -mechanism for mutual legal assistance and would arrange a joint feasibility study for an Economic Partnership Agreement, Yang said.
Meanwhile, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmakers said they remained opposed to defining a separate deportation earlier this week as a measure of goodwill. In the latest case, a Taiwanese fraud suspect was deported by the Philippines to Taiwan rather than China, and the party called it a separate case that had nothing to do with Beijing.
“It would have been an expression of goodwill had Beijing demanded the deportee but the Philippines still agreed to send him to Taiwan,” DPP Legislator Gao Jyh-peng (高志鵬). “Otherwise, where is the special favor here?”
“The deportation has nothing to do with the [spat with the Philippines]. There’s no need to exaggerate it and call it goodwill,” Gao added.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY VINCENT Y. CHAO
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as