Lawmakers on the Legislature’s Transportation Committee yesterday asked that China Airlines (CAL) suspend services on its Airbus 330-300 models after three engine failures since the end of last year.
The Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) confirmed yesterday that three Airbus aircraft experienced engine failures on Nov. 4, Dec. 25 and Jan. 24, forcing the pilots to return to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport.
Minister of Transportation and Communications Mao Chi-kuo (毛治國) told the committee that CAL had inspected the aircraft in the wake of the incidents.
Photo: CNA
The airline found that engine fan blades in all three aircraft had eroded before reaching the maintenance hours prescribed by General Electric Co (GE), the manufacturer of the engines.
Aside from replacing the engines, Mao said CAL had adopted stricter maintenance standards for their Airbus 330-300s and filed a complaint against GE.
CAA director general Yin Chen-pong (尹承蓬) said the engines shut down because of broken fan blades, adding that GE stated in its maintenance guidelines that Airbus 330-300 engines must be inspected after the aircraft has flown 18,000 hours.
Mao said GE needed to review maintenance procedures and problems related to blade erosion.
GE’s CEO had visited Taiwan to learn more about the incidents, Mao said.
Flight hours for the three Airbus aircraft were between 14,000 and 15,000 when the incidents occurred.
The airline said it had cut flight hour requirements from 18,000 to 12,000 between inspections, Yin said.
The carrier said it had already replaced or overhauled 30 engines used on its 17 A330-300 planes and expects to complete the process on the remaining 11 engines for the aircraft — including spares — by the end of May.
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Yeh Yi-jin (葉宜津) asked why it took three similar incidents before a comprehensive inspection could be launched, adding that all CAL 333-model aircraft should be grounded pending the conclusion of an inspection.
Mao said it was up to professionals at the CAA and Aviation Safety Council to decide whether or not to ground the aircraft.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY CNA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as