The Ministry of Interior yesterday tried to calm local sex workers after a newspaper reported the government plans to require them to obtain permission from their spouses before entering the trade to avoid committing adultery, which is a criminal offense.
Minister Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) told a press conference that no definitive plan has been set and the government was still gathering opinions from all sides. A decision is expected within six months, he said.
A report in the Chinese-language United Daily News said the ministry is ready to draft an act on sex trade management that would require all sex workers to obtain the consent of their spouse to enter the trade or face adultery charges if they are caught by the police.
“The Human Rights Protection Taskforce under the Executive Yuan met last week to discuss issues such as decriminalization of prostitution and the management of the sex trade, but no details were mentioned and we are still in the research phase,” the minister said.
He said a group of experts made the proposal on obtaining prior consent to the ministry last year. Other suggestions included setting up red light districts, holding a referendum at the local government level and allowing individual brothels to run as legitimate businesses.
While the law punishes sex workers, their clients face no punishment. There have also been cases where sex workers were indicted for adultery.
Last November, the Council of Grand Justices released a constitutional interpretation that stated the clause in the Social Order Maintenance Act (社會秩序維護法) that imposes penalties on sex workers, but not their clients, was unconstitutional and should be abolished within two years because it violated the spirit of equality enshrined in the Constitution.
A sex worker under the alias “Miko” said it would be impossible for many of her peers to tell their husbands about their work.
“How can the government expect a woman to tell her husband that because he was unable to provide for the family she has to sell her body? Many of us cannot afford for our families to find out we are in this line of work,” she said.
Advocates also panned the proposal, saying such an act would further exploit women who are already struggling financially. Moreover, human trafficking rings would be encouraged to use fake marriages as an avenue to force more girls to walk the streets, Taiwan’s Women Link said.
What the government needs to do, said the Collective of Sex Workers and Supporters, is legalize prostitution and provide the workers with the necessary benefits and security, not impose more legal barriers.
When asked for her opinion about the proposal, a 26-year-old accountant, Chen Hui-ying (陳慧茵), said the government had no business telling a woman what to do with her body and the issue would be resolved if adultery was decriminalized.
A survey conducted and released by the ministry showed that 68.5 percent of respondents said the adult sex trade should be recognized as a legal business. However, the same poll also showed that 47.8 percent opposed decriminalizing prostitution.
Legislators also weighed in on the idea.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Cheng Li-wun (鄭麗文), who previously proposed a bill decriminalizing prostitution, questioned whether the person who proposed asking for a spouse’s permission really understood the trade.
“Why do those in this business need to seek consent from their spouses if those in other industries are not required to do so?” Cheng said.
However, KMT Legislator Chi Kuo-tung (紀國棟) voiced support for the proposal, saying that sex workers should not get married if they were worried about the proposal.
Additional reporting by Flora Wang
The Supreme Court on Tuesday found four men guilty of attempted murder in the 2017 stabbing of Spanish surfer Ignacio Prio on a Pingtung County beach in the final ruling in the case, sentencing them to three-and-a-half to six years in prison. The defendants had appealed their convictions for attempted murder in the first and second rulings, which had also led to prison sentences ranging from three-and-a-half years to six years. The then-42-year-old Prio went to Jialeshui Beach (佳樂水) near Kenting (墾丁) on March 31, 2017, was attacked after he asked four men to remove their fishing lines from an area
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
ANOTHER IMPORT: A Filipina who arrived on Friday to visit family developed a fever on Saturday and test results yesterday were positive, making her Taiwan’s 465th case The government’s real-name mask purchasing system is to be continued until at least the end of the year, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported a new imported COVID-19 case from the Philippines. The center would continue to requisition mask production to ensure people can buy masks using the real-name system until the end of December, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), the CECC’s spokesman. While the CECC requisitions about 8 million masks per day to ensure there are enough for the real-name system, more than 10 million masks are produced per day