Former aides to former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) yesterday denied any wrongdoing in connection with the presidential “state affairs fund” at the last session of their trial before the verdict is announced in September.
Presiding Judge Tsai Shou-hsun (蔡守訓) scheduled yesterday’s court date to hear closing arguments from former Presidential Office director Lin Teh-hsun (林德訓), former Presidential Office deputy secretary-general Ma Yung-cheng (馬永成), their attorneys and the prosecution.
The two former aides stand accused of helping Chen embezzle money from the fund while he was in office.
Prosecutors said Ma and Lin exploited the fact that they were trusted by the former president and the Presidential Office’s accounting department.
They were fully aware they were helping the former president embezzle funds using various tricks, prosecutors said, including approving reimbursements of the former first family’s personal expenses with inappropriate receipts and making false lists of government employees to receive monetary rewards.
In reality, the cash went into the Chen family’s pockets, prosecutors said.
The two aides and their lawyers said they were unaware that the presidential fund was being used for inappropriate purposes, adding that the reimbursement system was flawed.
Prosecutors said the former aides and Chen had clearly been aware that they were committing crimes because otherwise they would not have destroyed documents to cover their actions.
Prosecutors accused Ma and Lin of flouting the law and having “only Chen’s interests in mind.”
Earlier, the former president said during his last day at trial on Tuesday that the accusations against him were “unbearably heavy.”
Having stayed silent throughout most of the day on Tuesday to protest what he calls an unfair judicial system, the former president finally began to speak at about 10pm.
He said that the public had been witness to his historical trial and that even if he were convicted: “I want to make my mark on history and let everyone know how I died.”
Chen said the entire trial — including the switching of judges and his being detained since December — had been unfair and politically motivated.
In December last year, a panel of judges ordered that the presiding judge in Chen’s case, Chou Chan-chun (周占春), be replaced by Tsai, who would preside over all of Chen’s cases, which were merged.
The switch was controversial, with some claiming it was politically motivated and had violated judicial procedures.
Chen said he recognized that his family’s way of “handling money” had not met the highest moral standards and political expectations, and apologized to the public.
The former president said he was willing to wire back all the money sent to overseas accounts and donate it to charity.
The last day of Chen’s first trial ended at about 1:30am yesterday.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as