President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) will conclude his campaign tour for the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) chairmanship today by visiting Hualien and Taitung before returning to Taipei City.
The KMT chairman election will be held tomorrow. Although Ma is the sole candidate, his campaign office is still making campaigning efforts to seek an 80 percent support rate among party members.
The KMT will set up 519 voting booths around the nation for the chairman election and party delegate election. The result is likely to be announced around 6pm tomorrow and Ma will hold a press conference immediately after to address the members, the campaign office said.
Ma has used weekends and non-working hours to tour cities and counties around Taiwan and meet local members for his KMT chairmanship bid since earlier this month. He has promised to deal with party assets, enhance cooperation between the party and the government, use the Central Standing Committee as the communication platform between the party and the government, reform the party, offer candidates with integrity and cultivate younger talent if elected.
It is expected that the president will talk to five hopefuls for December’s Hualien County commissioner election today when visiting the county, as Minister of Health Yeh Ching-chuan’s (葉金川) potential bid caused tension among local hopefuls.
Yeh had mentioned on several occasions his wish to return to Hualien, where he taught at Tzu Chi University, and the KMT also lauded Yeh as a “good choice” to represent the party in the election.
Five KMT members, including KMT Legislator Fu Kun-chi (傅崑萁), Hualien County Council Speaker Yang Wen-chi (楊文值), Hualien City Mayor Tsai Chi-ta (蔡啟塔) and former director of Hualien County’s Agricultural Development Office Tu Li-hua (杜麗華), have registered with the party to participate in the primary.
The party, however, suspended the primary last month because of intense competition and Yeh’s potential bid.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as