The National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday it would schedule another meeting next week to resolve an Internet Protocol (IP) peering fees dispute between Chunghwa Telecom (CHT, 中華電信) and Taiwan Fixed Network (TFN, 台灣固網), two of the nation’s largest telecom operators.
The companies met at the NCC on Tuesday to solve the dispute. CHT proposed changes to its service charges, but the NCC did not accept the proposal.
“It [CHT] presented us with a complicated formula explaining the way they set prices, but we considered the new price to be not much different from the old one,” said Lee Ming-chung (李明忠), an NCC division chief.
Lee said the commission believed CHT could drop its prices further as its infrastructrure costs had already been recouped.
Peering refers to the connection between two separate Internet networks that allows customers to exchange traffic. Since a majority of overseas Web sites can only be accessed via CHT’s undersea cables, other fixed network service providers must use CHT’s peering service.
The dispute over the IP peering fee broke out last week when CHT decided to restrict the bandwidth used for the 2G peering service with TFN last Wednesday because the latter had not paid its fees this year.
TFN said it had been overcharged by CHT and asked to renegotiate a new peering fee.
After learning of the dispute, the NCC dispatched officials to both CHT and TFN to monitor the traffic flow between the two networks. CHT resumed its prior service agreement with TFN the next day under the NCC’s orders.
CHT charges NT$1,500 per megabyte if the bandwidth is smaller than 500 megabytes per second and NT$3,000 per megabyte if it is higher. The NCC said this was unreasonable and that fees for larger amounts should be discounted.
Meanwhile, CHT set six criteria for granting TFN discounts on peering fees, one of them being that TFN IP addresses should reach one-third the number of CHT’s. The NCC, however, believed that the specific criteria could not be met by TFN or any other service provider.
The incident last week caused the NCC to launch an investigation into whether CHT has abused its status as the market leader and whether TFN has infringed its customers’ interests.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as