The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) yesterday remained guarded on the status of cross-strait negotiations over Taiwan’s participation in the World Health Assembly (WHA), but insisted that no secret talks had been launched on the matter.
Asked about the timing, location, names and level of the representatives involved in the talks, Department of International Organizations Director-General Paul Chang (章文樑) said it would be “inappropriate” to share such information at the moment.
“For the time being, we believe that refraining from making substantive comments will help us with future negotiations,” he said, refusing to confirm or deny whether the talks had begun.
“But if both sides hold communication of any sort, the government will adhere to the principles of autonomy and dignity. We will not accept any arrangement that belittles or denigrates Taiwan,” said Chang, declining to elaborate on what would be considered unacceptable.
Chang said the government would announce the results of the negotiations once an agreement has been reached.
The 62nd annual WHA will convene from May 18 to May 27 in Geneva. President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) has repeatedly said he was “optimistic” about Taiwan’s chances of obtaining observer status at the assembly.
In an interview with United Daily News last month, Ma said talks with Beijing on Taiwan’s bid would be held “next month” in a “third country.”
Chang denied a media report that said Taiwanese and Chinese officials had met in Singapore in February.
The pan-green camp has said that Beijing could insist that Taiwan be allowed to be an observer at the WHA on an annual basis. Such an arrangement, the Democratic Progressive Party said, would mean that Taiwan’s participation at the assembly would be subject to Beijing’s approval.
Chang said that WHA rules of procedures stipulate that the office of the WHO director-general must issue a notice to all assembly observers — such as the Holy See — prior to each annual meeting to confirm the size and members of their delegation.
Asked if Taiwan could be allowed in this year but barred from attending in subsequent years, Chang said that such an outcome had no precedent.
Rule No. 3 of the Rules of Procedure of the Health Assembly says: “Notices convening a regular session of the Health Assembly shall be sent out by the Director-General not less than 60 days … to members and associations, to representatives of the board and all participating intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations admitted into relationship with the Organization invited to be represented at the session.
“The Director-General may invite States having made application for membership, territories on whose behalf application for associate membership has been made, and States which have signed but not accepted the constitution to send observers to sessions of the Health Assembly,” it says.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as