Minister of National Defense Chen Chao-min (陳肇敏) apologized yesterday for a recent string of scandals involving military personnel, pledging to come up with a concrete plan to fight corruption in the military and restore discipline.
Chen said he felt “distraught” over an array of scandals in the military and the performance of the armed forces.
“I offer my most sincere apology to the public on behalf of the military,” he said while accompanying President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) at an exhibition at Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall commemorating the 100th anniversary of late president Chiang Ching-kuo’s (蔣經國) birth yesterday.
Chen said that restoring military discipline and fighting corruption have topped his agenda since he took office.
He said he was determined to attain his goals and urged the public to give him time.
Asked how much time he needed, Chen said while the president had given them three months, the ministry had already begun to work on the matter and hopefully the efforts would produce concrete results.
Chen was referring to a directive issued by Ma on Wednesday ordering a judicial and government review of “major corruption cases” and propose measures to fight corruption within three months.
Chen’s remarks yesterday were made in response to media inquiries about the killing of a Vietnamese woman by two soldiers in Kaohsiung on Friday.
Twenty-year-olds Tseng Shao-tsu (曾紹慈) and Liang Po-yu (梁伯羽), who were performing their military service in the navy, broke into the apartment of a 34-year-old woman surnamed Li (黎) early on Friday morning.
Community surveillance cameras showed Li running outside seeking help. Li tried to flee, but the men stabbed her a dozen times in the back and right leg before killing her by slashing her throat. They strangled another Vietnamese woman, aged 22, who was sleeping on the second floor. She survived by faking death. Awakened by Li’s screams, neighbors called police, who arrested Tseng and Liang at the scene.
Another crisis involving military personnel was the indictment of a retired lieutenant-general and 11 businessmen on Monday on charges of bribery and blackmail.
Prosecutors sought 22 years in jail for former lieutenant-general Yuan Hsiao-lung (袁肖龍) on charges of accepting bribes, blackmail and leaking secrets. Yuan is accused of trying to obtain a promotion by bribing his superiors through middleman Lin Chih-chung (林治崇), who headed the group of businessmen who were indicted on suspicion that they won military contracts after bribing military officers with cash and prostitutes.
In related news, Control Yuan member Yu Teng-fang (余騰芳) said yesterday he suspected high-profile officials other than Huo Shou-yeh (霍守業), a strategic adviser to the Presidential Office, were involved in the case concerning Lin.
Huo, the former chief of general staff, was alleged by Lin to have been his connection in the Ministry of Defense. The prosecutors’ indictment said Lin was acquainted with Huo.
Yu yesterday said he could subpoena Huo and former Democratic Progressive Party officials who served at the presidential office to answer questions after reviewing documents he requested from prosecutors and the ministry.
Denying any wrongdoing, Huo on Thursday visited the Presidential Office and asked Presidential Office Secretary-General Chan Chun-po (詹春柏) to relay a letter from him to Ma stating his non-involvement in Lin’s case.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY SHIH HSIU-CHUAN,STAFF WRITER AND DPA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as