Former chairman of the National Science Council Wei Che-ho (魏哲和) yesterday told a court that former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) did not interfere with the government’s purchase of land.
Wei was in court as a witness for the defense in the trial alleging that Chen accepted kickbacks in a land deal.
Wei, who served as council chairman from 2001 to 2004, was questioned for more than four hours at the Taipei District Court.
Prosecutors allege that in a meeting at the Presidential Office with former Hsinchu Science Park chief James Lee (李界木), Wei and other government officials, Chen proposed that the council first rent the plot of land in Longtan (龍潭), Taoyuan County, before eventually buying the land to include it as part of the Hsinchu Industrial Science Park.
The motivation was for former first lady Wu Shu-jen (吳淑珍) to collect NT$400 million (US$12 million) in bribes, prosecutors allege.
However, Wei told the court that the former president did not instruct him or other government officials on how to rent or purchase the plot of land in Longtan.
Wei told the court: “[During the meeting,] Lee first briefed the former president on the progress of the land purchase. However, [then premier Yu Shyi-kun (游錫堃)] voiced concern about whether the decision would adversely affect Chen’s election campaign. I remember Chen said, ‘I will deal with the election campaign, and you deal with the administrative work as you see fit.’”
Prosecutors asked Wei then whether the former president gave specific instructions on options for purchasing or renting the land.
Wei replied: “No.”
He also denied that Chen had told him and other officials to “actively cooperate” in the handling of the land deal.
Meanwhile, the former first lady’s trial continued yesterday afternoon. Prosecutors allege that with the help of her friend, Tsai Ming-che (蔡明哲), Wu accepted US$2.73 million in bribes from contractor Kuo Chuan-ching (郭銓慶) to help him win a tender to build the Nangang Exhibition Hall between 2002 and 2003.
Kuo told the court yesterday that he gave Wu NT$600 million (US$17.8 million) through Tsai, but said the money was a political donation.
He said he also gave her US$2.2 million as a way of thanking her after his company won the tender for the construction project.
This contradicted what the former first lady said two months ago. She admitted to receiving US$2.2 million from Kuo, not US$2.73 million as stated in the indictment.
She did not say whether the US$2.2 million was a bribe as prosecutors allege or a political donation as she previously suggested.
Tsai was scheduled to testify in court yesterday, but because Chen Shui-bian’s trial went overtime, the judge asked Tsai to return to court at a later date.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as