Former first lady Wu Shu-jen (吳淑珍) appeared in court yesterday to be questioned and cross-examined as a witness in the trial against former minister of the interior Yu Cheng-hsien (余政憲), who is a defendant in the Nangang Exhibition Center case.
Wu said she had been manipulated by her friend, Tsai Ming-che (蔡銘哲).
In December, prosecutors indicted Yu for his alleged involvement in irregularities related to the construction of the exhibition center.
Yu admitted to leaking the names of the evaluation board for the project to potential contractors, but said that he did not receive any bribes.
Nangang Exhibition Center contractor Kuo Chuan-ching (郭銓慶) said he had collected US$2.73 million to bribe the first family in return for winning the tender to build the center between 2002 and 2003.
Last month, Wu said she received US$2.2 million from Kuo, not US$2.73 million as stated in the indictment.
Wu yesterday said she had asked Yu to use “the most advantageous tender,” but that at the time she was only passing on the message from Tsai.
“I am not familiar with construction [terminology], so I didn’t know what that term [the most advantageous tender] meant,” she said.
Wu also denied mentioning anything to Yu about the list of names of the evaluation board members.
She said that she was manipulated by Tsai because he should have told her what the term “the most advantageous tender” meant.
“It wasn’t until after the scandal broke that I asked my son what the term [meant],” she told the judges. “They used my lack of knowledge about construction [to their advantage] … I thought that I was only suggesting to Yu to use whichever contractor named the best price.”
Asked by Presiding Judge Lin Chun-ling (林春鈴) whether he told Wu about Kuo and his construction company, Tsai said: “Yes.”
However, Wu replied: “No, he [Tsai] is lying … I saw him grow up as a kid. Now that he’s turned out like this, I feel very sad.”
A grim-faced Wu kept her head low throughout the confrontation with Tsai. Because of low blood pressure, she left the Taipei District Court at about 4:15pm after spending an hour and 40 minutes in court.
Meanwhile, Minister of Justice Wang Ching-feng (王清峰), in response to Special Investigation Panel (SIP) prosecutor Wu Wen-chung’s (吳文忠) comments that he had been betrayed by his superiors in the panel reshuffle, said yesterday the decision was appropriate and not meant as a slight to the SIP.
On Tuesday, the ministry announced that six prosecutors would be added to the SIP and three would be removed in a routine reshuffle.
Wu Wen-chung was among the three to be removed.
At the Judiciary and Organic Laws and Statutes Committee meeting yesterday, lawmakers grilled Wang over the performance of SIP prosecutors. Asked for comment on whether State Public Prosecutor-General Chen Tsung-ming (陳聰明) had hindered the panel’s investigations into allegations against former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁), Wang said that if she were Chen Tsung-ming, she would have resigned a long time ago.
“This is how my personality is. I don’t think you have to limit yourself to a single battlefield. If I had been humiliated and criticized for a long time [like Chen Tsung-ming], I would leave,” Wang said.
In response to Wu’s remarks that he had been betrayed by his superiors, Wang said that aside from professional knowledge, prosecutors should have “iron-like discipline” and that the ministry was not attacking the SIP.
“I commend the SIP’s performance and am very thankful for their hard work,” she said.
“Prosecutors should obey the law, not any particular person,” Wang said.
Wang urged prosecutors to persevere when they encounter public criticism, but said she understood why Wu would feel emotional about the reshuffle.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as