Women's rights activists yesterday urged the government and schools to take steps to prevent sexual abuse in the wake of a report showing schools topping the list of public places where abuse had taken place.
Figures released by the Domestic Violence and Sexual Assaults Prevention Committee at the end of last month showed that among the reported cases of sexual abuse in public places last year, 278 occurred in junior or senior high schools, 164 “on the roadside” and 107 in “entertainment places” such as bars and karaokes.
As for sexual abuse taking place in private places, more than 2,000 occured in the violators' homes, while about 1,700 took place at the victims' home.
Garden of Hope Foundation executive director Chi Hui-jung (紀惠容) said she wasn't surprised by the figures.
“Based on our long-term studies, about 80 percent of sex crime victims were under 18 years old. Among the victims, more than 80 percent were violated by acquaintances, and about half of these acquaintances were friends, neighbors or teachers,” she said.
However, Chi said the high number of reported cases was not necessarily a negative sign, “because it means that more and more people are willing to expose such cases,” adding that “traditionally, people were unwilling to report such cases because of social and cultural pressure.”
“Minors under the age of 18 are more likely to become victims because they're in an unequal power relationship when faced with violators who are older and sometimes have more authority over the victims,” Chi said.
Education authorities and schools should start teaching youngsters to say “no” from childhood, she said.
“Our children and teenagers need to know that their bodies are theirs, no one — no matter who he or she is — has the right to touch their bodies if they don't feel comfortable about it,” Chi said, adding that adults also have to be educated to respect other people's bodies.
Modern Women's Foundation executive director Yao Shu-wen (姚淑文) had a differing view on the reported figures.
“Many of the ‘sex crimes’ that occurred in schools are actually sex between consenting minors, which are counted as sexual abuse, because the law says it is a crime to have sex with a minor under whatever circumstances,” she said.
“But I do think we need to offer our children better sex education,” she said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as