■ POLITICS
Ma to hold new meetings
President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) will meet one Cabinet member each week starting next week to review their progress in implementing his more than 400 campaign promises, officials said yesterday. Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺), head of the Research, Development and Evaluation Commission, which is in charge of scheduling the meetings, said the arrangement will facilitate direct discussion between the president and Cabinet members and avoid possible communication gaps. The first of the meetings, set for next Wednesday, will be with Minister of Justice Wang Ching-feng (王清峰), who will brief the president on the planned enactment of sunshine laws and a law that would criminalize the possession of unaccounted wealth by public officials, Jiang said. The media has speculated that the meetings represent an attempt by Ma to involve himself in the alleged money-laundering case involving former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁), an allegation rebutted by Presidential Office Spokesman Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦), who said there was no way the president would discuss “individual judicial cases” during the meeting.
■ CRIME
Pastor sentenced for rape
A pastor has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for raping 13 girls and women in his congregation over the course of more than two years, according to a report yesterday. Tang Tai-shen (唐台生), 58, sexually abused the women, the youngest of whom was aged only 14, under the pretext of offering them sex counseling and videotaped the crimes, the Chinese-language Apple Daily said. He was also ordered by the court to undergo therapy for three years, the report said. Eight female staffers, including Tang’s daughter-in-law, who were in charge of recruiting followers to his self-styled church, also received jail terms of between 12 months and seven and a half years for molesting the women, it said. The pastor was arrested last year and has been detained ever since. In 1999, Tang, then a pastor in the “China Holiness Church,” was convicted of molesting a female follower and was sentenced to three years and two months in prison. He was released in 2005 after serving the full jail term.
■ HEALTH
Group approves plan
The anti-smoking group John Tung Foundation approves of the Cabinet’s plan to increase taxes on cigarettes and expand non-smoking areas in public spaces, but says more must be done to reduce smoking, especially among youngsters. Lin Ching-li (林清麗), the foundation’s tobacco hazard prevention section chief, on Friday praised the draft amendment to the Tobacco Hazards Prevention and Control Act passed by the Cabinet on Thursday to increase the health and welfare surcharge on cigarettes to NT$20 per pack from the existing NT$10.
■ AGRICULTURE
China reaches milestone
China imported more than 1,005 tonnes of fruit from Taiwan through Xiamen Port this year as of Thursday, surpassing the 1,000-tonne mark for a year for the first time ever, the Xiamen Quarantine Office said on Friday. According to a China News Services report seen in Taipei, the office’s tallies showed that 141 shipments of Taiwan fruit entered China via Xiamen port in the first 10 months of the year, 1.6 times the number of shipments over the same period last year, and the shipments were valued at US$971,000, up more than 25 percent year on year. Taiwan was the No. 1 source of China’s fruit imports through Xiamen port, according to the office’s statistics.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as