A representative of the Mikura community in Kobe, Japan, signed an agreement on Monday in Taipei to permit the reconstruction of an antique Japanese-style building in Tamsui (淡水).
The Mikura community’s Hozan Tanaka attended the signing ceremony, which will see an antique wooden building — said to have been assembled only with mortise and tenon joints, using no nails — rebuilt in Tamsui Township.
The historic building was constructed in 1915 in Japan’s Fukui Prefecture by the father of Tsutomu Minakami, a popular and prolific Japanese author.
Tanaka lamented the fact that Minakami, who died in September 2004, had not lived to see the new structure.
The plan to rebuild the structure in Taiwan came after many twists and turns.
A couple in Fukui Prefecture, on Japan’s west coast, learned of the prefecture’s plan to tear down the antique building to make way for a park.
They first suggested that the local government donate the building to Kobe’s Mikura community and have it rebuilt there, because of the community’s experience reconstructing an antique 1870 residence after it was damaged in a powerful earthquake in 1995.
However, the Mikura community decided it wanted to rebuild the structure in Taiwan to show their compassion for victims of the 921 Earthquake. In late 1999 community residents had visited areas affected by that disaster.
The rebuilt structure will hold 200 books by Minakami, according to the initial plan by the Tamsui Township Office.
The office said it also plans to set up an exhibition zone to showcase the works of Chen Shun-chen (陳舜臣), a Taiwanese author born in Kobe who settled in Tamsui after moving back from Japan in 1999.
Tanaka said that Japan was happy to see the project move forward, since it had been stalled for four years by Taiwan’s complex building codes. In May, the construction project was finally grouped into the category of “memorial architecture,” which would allow construction to go forward without the need for a building license.
Local architect Chiu Ming-min’s (邱明民) work over the last four years was critical for gaining approval from the Taipei County Government.
Chiu said that the Japanese community in Kobe agreed to have the wooden structure rebuilt in August 2004.
He and film director Chuang Yue (莊岳) then led four architecture students on a trip to Fukui Prefecture, where they spent four weeks dismantling the wooden building and coding the parts.
Thirty Japanese volunteer architects helped them with the work. Many of them promised to come to Taiwan to help rebuild the structure, Chiu said.
In 2005, Chiu transported about 500 dismantled wooden pieces in shipping containers to Taiwan, where they were stored at a cultural foundation.
Tamsui Township Mayor Tsai Yeh-wei (蔡葉偉) said that gaining approval for the project had not been easy, because of legal restrictions on building wooden structures in Taiwan.
The wooden building will be listed in a group of historical structures in Tamsui that includes originally Dutch, Spanish and British-built landmarks.
The township will also construct a “peace park” near the wooden building to symbolize the friendship between Taiwan and Japan, Tsai said.
Japan’s help with the reconstruction project was a sign of the friendship and peace between the two countries, which have strong historical ties, he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as