In a bid to relieve tensions stemming from the presidential campaign, President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said yesterday that he would drop all lawsuits he filed during the campaign in the hopes of fostering a society of reconciliation.
Presidential Office Spokesman Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) said Ma would drop six lawsuits he filed during the campaign and would not appeal any cases whose rulings have been handed down.
The six cases are a defamation suit against his former Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) rival Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) regarding allegations about Ma’s special allowance fund, two slander charges against former Executive Yuan spokesman Shieh Jhy-wey (謝志偉) over allegations Ma had been a student spy in the US and a defamation suit against DPP Taipei City Councilwoman Hsu Chia-ching (徐佳青) over Ma’s relations with the builder of the Taipei Arena.
Ma will also drop a defamation lawsuit against former DPP legislator Hsu Kuo-yung (徐國勇) and DPP Taipei Councilwoman Yen Sheng-kuan (顏聖冠) over his special allowance fund, and a defamation suit against former DPP legislator Tsai Chi-fang (蔡啟芳) and political analyst Tsai Han-shun (蔡漢勳) over Ma’s political donations, Wang said.
However, charges filed by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) on Ma’s behalf, for example, would not be dropped, Wang said.
Ma will not drop the charges he filed against three prosecutors, Hou Kuan-jen (侯寬仁), Shen Ming-lun (沈明倫) and Chou Shih-yu (周士榆), who were members of the Supreme Court Prosecutors’ Office special investigating panel probing corruption allegations against Ma and the KMT.
The cases involve the KMT’s three-in-one sale of the Broadcasting Corp of China, China Television Co and the Central Motion Picture Corp to China Times Group subsidiary Jungli Investment Co in 2005 for NT$9.3 billion (US$290.6 million) and the KMT’s sale of the Institute of Policy Research and Development building to Yuan Lih Construction Corp for NT$4.3 billion last year. Both deals took place when Ma was party chairman.
The three prosecutors are also investigating Ma’s use of his special allowance fund during his terms as minister of justice, vice chairman of the Mainland Affairs Council and other positions.
Ma has requested the court remove the three prosecutors from those cases because of “bias.”
Ma was acquitted in a second trial on allegations of misusing his special allowance fund during his term as Taipei mayor.
Wang said Ma has also urged those who have made “false accusations” against him to stop such acts and to work to build a society of reconciliation and coexistence. He stopped short of asking them to drop any lawsuits they have brought against him, Wang said.
DPP Secretary-General Wang Tuoh (王拓) welcomed Ma’s announcement, but refused to speculate about his motivation.
Wang said the move would help promote reconciliation between the two parties and the DPP would drop its election-related cases against Ma.
DPP Legislator Tsai Huang-liang (蔡煌瑯), however, said Ma’s move was just an attempt to divert attention from his poor performance.
Additional reporting by Rich Chang
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as