Vice President Vincent Siew (蕭萬長) yesterday said that flood control would be high on the administration’s agenda after Tropical Storm Kalmaegi wreaked havoc in southern and central Taiwan and claimed 18 lives.
As flooding caused the loss of human lives and property damage, Siew said the government was duty bound to make the issue a priority and map out a good plan.
Siew, who visited disaster areas in the south on Saturday, said that the crux of the problem lay in the budget and approach adopted to tackle the issue.
The lesson the government must learn from the flooding caused by Tropical Storm Kalmaegi was that flood control must be dealt with as a whole, rather than in segments, he said.
“We need to treat each river’s flooding problems swiftly and as a whole,” he said, suggesting that the government needs to reconsider the current budgeting system.
“The central and local governments must cooperate closely in coping with flooding. This is one thing we have learned from the flood disaster this time,” he said.
Siew made the remarks yesterday in response to media inquiry on the sidelines of a Taiwan-Japan forum held in Taipei yesterday.
At a separate setting, Cabinet Spokeswoman Vanessa Shih (史亞平) said yesterday that Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) will hold a Cabinet meeting today to review the government’s flood prevention performance during the storm.
The premier had urged all government agencies to improve the government’s flood prevention measures, she said.
Liu also promised to allow local governments to adjust the proposals they previously submitted to the Cabinet for the central government’s plan to boost domestic demand, Shih said, adding that the budget reserved for spurring the demand could be spent on flood prevention first.
Shih made the comments amid public criticism of the government’s flood prevention works.
The Ministry of National Defense has mobilized military personnel to help clear thick mud that covered roads and filled residences.
However, some were criticized by flood victims for being perfunctory, with some forgetting to bring cleaning tools, and others criticized for taking pictures on the site.
“I don’t know what they are doing. Are they here only for a show?” a flood victim said in a news report broadcast by FTV.
Meanwhile, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators pointed fingers at each other yesterday over who should be held responsible for the flood damage.
“We all know that the legislature’s stalling of the [NT$80 billion (US$2.5 billion)] budget [for flood prevention] was the main reason [for the scale of the catastrophe],” DPP Legislator Chen Ting-fei (陳亭妃) said.
The government began an eight-year plan to upgrade flood prevention infrastructure three years ago.
But the pan-blue-dominated legislature did not pass the proposal until January 2006, while raising it to NT$116 billion.
KMT Legislator Chi Kuo-tung (紀國棟) defended the KMT, calling Chen’s accusation “nonsense.”
He said local governments should have executed their flood prevention upgrade plans sooner after the budget was approved.
When asked for comment, KMT Legislator Chang Chia-chun (張嘉郡) questioned the Yunlin County Government’s competence, saying that the county government only completed 5 percent of its flood prevention plans over the past two years.
Additional reporting by staff writer
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as