Ang Lee (
Lee and frequent producing and screenwriting partner James Schamus were honored with a freedom of expression award on Tuesday at ShoWest, an annual convention of US theater owners, for their collaborations, which include last year's sexually charged thriller Lust, Caution.
NC-17 RATING
Though the US$4.6 million domestic haul for Lust, Caution was small compared with the US$83 million box-office return for Brokeback Mountain, Lee and Schamus' latest production went a long way to legitimizing the NC-17 rating.
Set in the World War II era, Lust, Caution centers on a young Chinese woman (Tang Wei,
"You see the most private performances. The most brave and private," said Lee, who won the best-director Academy Award for Brokeback Mountain. "I think those scenes are pivotal. They anchor the movie, so it would be a shame if we don't see it."
Only a handful of movies have gone out with the NC-17 rating, which replaced the old X rating in the early 1990s to offer a category that did not carry the connotation of smut for explicit movies.
`UNUSED MUSCLE'
The rating had been viewed as a kiss of death, with distributors usually preferring to release movies unrated rather than with the NC-17 tag. The expectation had been that theaters and audiences would shun anything with an NC-17 rating, but Schamus said that was not the case with Lust, Caution.
"It was one of those strange situations where the NC-17 was kind of an unused muscle. It was lying fallow, and everybody simply assumed the stigma was still there," said Schamus, who heads Focus Features, which released both Lust, Caution and Brokeback Mountain.
John Fithian, who heads the National Association of Theatre Owners, said he hoped that with filmmakers of Lee and Schamus' stature opening the door, other directors would not shy away from material that could get them an NC-17 rating.
"Lust, Caution showed people that an NC-17 movie is not pornography, which is kind of the legend we have been living with, that NC-17 was the same thing as X-rated," said Dan Glickman, head of the Motion Picture Association of America.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as