Premier Su Tseng-chang (
"I hereby assign Minister Without Portfolio Hsu Chih-hsiung (許志雄) and the Ministry of Economic Affairs responsibility for the investigation of this issue. We need to figure out who pocketed the government's assets and try to retrieve that which used to belong to the government," Su said.
The premier made the remarks during the weekly Cabinet meeting yesterday. His comments stem from a recent dispute between Taiwan Sugar Corp and the association, as a planned merger hit a snag.
The Taiwan Sugar Association is worth more than NT$4 billion (US$127 million), and was previously controlled by Taisugar. The association has refused to merge with Taisugar and insists that it is a private firm and is nothing to do with the company.
"The association was established decades ago during the Japanese colonial era. It does not belong to those who believe they possess ownership of the association. It belongs to the company. How can they manipulate the company, and then make the association a private firm simply by changing its registration?" Su said.
The premier said that he had been a lawyer for more than 30 years but he could not see any logic in this case because it was not logical at all.
"Was it a coincidence that the two government-assigned association board members resigned at exactly the same time? It is difficult to persuade me that they didn't do that to make government-owned assets private," Su said.
The association became a private firm on May 8, 2003, and was spun off from Taiwan Sugar after two government-picked board members resigned and left the association.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as