The Taipei District Court yesterday decided that Cary Sartin, the American father of a little girl named Emily who is at the center of a custody battle, cannot leave the country with his daughter until a court hearing has been completed.
"The court has agreed to the provisional disposition, which prohibits Emily from leaving the country throughout the custody trial," Taipei District Court spokesman Liu Shou-sung (
Emily's mother was previously identified as Ruan, but is identified as Nadia Juan (
Juan on Monday filed a petition asking the Taichung District Court to dismiss an enforcement order that had granted the father custody of the girl.
Meanwhile, her lawyer also applied to the court for the provisional disposition.
The legal situation was complicated by the fact that Juan, who lives in Taipei City, had her household registered in Taichung City.
Registration
Laws requiring Taiwanese to register their "household" -- essentially a permanent address -- are a relic of the authoritarian era, and the registration rarely reflects an individual's actual living arrangements.
However, individuals are required to return to the area in which their household is registered to conduct legal proceedings, or for civic duties such as voting.
To simplify matters, Juan on Monday transferred her household registration form Taichung City to Taipei City. Therefore, the Tai-chung District Court decided to transfer the lawsuit to the Taipei District Court.
Ruan yesterday also filed a custody suit with the Taipei District Court asking the court to give her custody of the girl.
Ruan's lawyer yesterday told reporters that they have been in touch with Sartin's lawyer, and hoped that he would allow Juan to see her daughter before Mother's Day on May 14.
The Taipei District Court yesterday summoned Juan to make her case regarding the provisional disposition, and in the afternoon the court agreed to prevent Emily from leaving the country during the custody trial.
Jurisdiction
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs weighed in on the case yesterday, saying the custody dispute must be settled by a Taiwanese court.
Ministry Spokesman Michel Lu (
"When the ruling was made in the US, Ms. Juan was not in court ... Now that she has appealed the ruling and brought her case to a Taiwanese court, the US court ruling can be excluded in Taiwan," Lu said yesterday.
Lu said the US-Taiwan Judicial Assistance Agreement -- which provides for legal cooperation between the two countries -- did not apply, because the US court ruled when Juan was absent.
"Now the girl's custody has to be decided by a Taiwanese court, because she is still a citizen of Taiwan," Lu said yesterday.
Lu said that because the girl entered Taiwan with a Taiwanese passport, she can't leave the country with a foreign passport.
"We won't issue a new passport to the girl as her current passport is still valid," Lu said.
Juan, the former New York correspondent for the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT)-run newspaper Central Daily News, refuses to hand over the passport.
Sartin, a 55-year-old US citizen from New York, attempted to take the girl back to the US with him last week, but was stopped by the immigration police as the girl was not using her Taiwanese passport when passing the immigration point.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as