The massive earthquake that struck western Indonesia's Nias island on Monday has had no significant impact on Taiwan, seismologists said yesterday.
They added that there was no risk that earthquakes occurring so far away would cause a threat of tsunamis in Taiwan.
The quake sparked panic across Asia that it would trigger another devastating tsunami.
Seismologists of the Central Weather Bureau said yesterday that their equipment detected seismic waves 16 minutes after the quake occurred. Ten minutes after that, they were alerted by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
Bureau seismologists said they believe that the quake was an aftershock following 9.0-magnitude temblor of Dec. 26 last year, which triggered a tsunami that left nearly 300,000 people dead or missing across Asia.
"After the deadly quake last December, scientists have been paying attention to a seismic fault stretching over more than 1,000km. So the occurrence of the quake measuring 8.7 did not surprise seismologists at all," said Kuo Kai-wen (郭鎧紋), director of the bureau's seismology center.
Kuo said that Monday's earthquake, which had an epicenter around 30km beneath the earth, only caused a "slight tsunami" with 25cm-high waves.
According to Lu Pei-ling (呂佩玲), the center's deputy chief, Taiwan's distance from the epicenter limited the earthquake's effects.
"In addition, the Indo-China peninsula and the Indonesian archipelagoes reduced the effect of the earthquake on Taiwan," Lu said.
Lu said that aftershocks of the Dec. 26 quake are likely to occur for the next four or five years, although the severity of these quakes would gradually decrease.
However, bureau officials said yesterday that tourists traveling to southern Asia should keep in mind that earthquakes measuring 7 or 8 on the Richter scale might keep occurring over the next year or two.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs reported yesterday that there were no Taiwanese among the casualties of the Nias earthquake.
Gary Lin (林松煥), director general of the ministry's Department of East Asia and Pacific Affairs, said that Taiwan's representative to Indonesia, David Lin (林永樂), has conveyed condolences to the Indonesian government on behalf of President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) and Minister of Foreign Affairs Mark Chen (陳唐山).
Gary Lin said that Taiwan's representative office in Jakarta is still considering whether to offer aid to the affected region.
Meanwhile, forecasters of the Central Weather Bureau issued a warning of torrential rains yesterday afternoon.
They urged people in northern and northeastern Taiwan to be alert to the possibility of mudflows and landslides in mountainous areas.
Forecasters said that rains are expected nationwide until Sunday. They urged residents to take steps to prevent possible damage caused by gusts and lightning.
(additional reporting by Melody Chen)
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as