The International Labor Associa-tion yesterday accused the Manila Economic and Cultural Office (MECO) in Taipei of colluding with former New Party legislator Elmer Fung (馮滬祥) in reaching an out-of-court settlement between him and a Filipina housekeeper whom Fung is accused of raping during the Lunar New Year holidays.
The association also accused MECO of colluding with Fung in sending her home.
According to the association, Fung raped the 25-year-old woman, identified only as Rose, whom he had hired to take care of his mother-in-law, on the afternoon of Jan. 23.
Association chairwoman Chen Su-hsiang (
"MECO officials, as well as Fung's wife and lawyer, told her that she had only two choices. One was to fight a legal battle, which they said could land her in jail if she lost. They said her second choice was to reach an out-of-court settlement, take the money, go home and start a new life," Chen said.
Rose chose to settle out of court and returned to the Philippines on Jan. 29.
Chen said the association learned about the case on Jan. 26 when Rose was already "under house arrest" by MECO and that she was sent home in such a short time that it could hardly do anything for her.
Chen questioned Fung's claim that it was a simple case of the housekeeper running away, saying "there wouldn't be any need for an out-of-court settlement then."
Chen said that the association had obtained a copy of the settlement and other evidence, which it will make public if Fung keeps lying to the public.
According to the Council of Labor Affairs, Rose was given NT$800,000 in the settlement.
The council said MECO reported the case and requested assistance on Jan. 27, but the woman returned home on Jan. 29 and no contact with her was allowed.
Chen also criticized Taipei City's labor affairs bureau for not intervening in the matter.
Fung, who returned from China yesterday, said the rape allegation was an underhanded tactic employed by the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) to prevent him from campaigning for the pan-blue camp.
He said that the settlement money was the salary for the two years that Rose did not finish working for his family.
Feeling sorry that the maid had been manipulated by others and knowing that she already regretted what she had done, Fung and his wife thus agreed to give her the money, Fung said, without clarifying his statements.
Fung said he was ready to protest against the New Party's suspension of his membership over the rape allegations and to sue Chen as well as an unspecified newspaper he accused of misleading the public regarding the case.
MECO defended its handling of the case yesterday, arguing that the woman chose to fly home as soon as possible rather than sue Fung.
In a statement, MECO said that it had received a phone call from the woman on Jan. 23, in which she complained that she had been sexually attacked by her employer.
MECO said a staffer immediately took the woman to MacKay Memorial Hospital for treatment before filing a complaint with the Chungshan Police Station.
The woman was then lodged by MECO pending the legal process and the office retained a lawyer specializing in industrial disputes to inform the woman about her legal rights.
In related news, Shilin District Court Prosecutor Pai Chih-chung (
Pai said he will summon the former maid even though she has returned to her home.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as