About 500 people from Hsiaokang District protested yesterday in front of the Kaohsiung City Government, urging Mayor Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) not to issue a license to a newly-completed medical incinerator installed next to their communities.
Waving banners, demonstrators shouted to express their anger at the establishment of the incinerator, which stands as close as 300m to some homes. The protesters included senior citizens who joined the demonstration with their grandchildren in tow.
Representatives handed over the results of an advisory referendum held on Dec. 7 to city government officials. The result indicated that 97.8 percent of the 7,187 people who cast votes were opposed to the incinerator.
"No matter what anyone says, this result reflects real public opinion. Our protest will only get bigger if the city government insists on issuing a license to the operator," Fengming borough chief Huang Chun-fu (
Sixty-one percent of the 11,778 eligible voters in the six boroughs near the incinerator participated in the poll.
The referendum was conducted by a committee made up of borough chiefs, community leaders and representatives of environmental and cultural groups. Many of these people have been protesting against the incinerator, designed to dispose of infectious medical waste, for more than two years.
According to the protesters, the location of the incinerator was objectionable -- the distance from the incinerator to the six boroughs ranges between 300m and 900m.
Protesters also said that Hsiaokang residents had been discriminated against for decades. They alleged that a number of environmentally-unfriendly facilities had been built there over the years, including steelmaking furnaces in a nearby industrial complex and a large household-waste incinerator with a daily capacity of 1,800 tonnes.
In response to the demonstration, Deputy Mayor Lin Yung-chien (林永堅) said the application process had been processed over five years and met applicable standards.
"We've worked very hard over the last two years to communicate with the residents, and have said that the city will form a special task force to monitor the incinerator's operation in future," Lin said.
A statutory deadline for the government's evaluation of the application falls on Jan. 11.
Mayor Hsieh said that the government had spent more than five years carefully evaluating the project and that the facility met standards required of it in a five-day trial in September.
"Under the circumstances, the residents should not have any need to speculate on the operation of the incinerator," Hsieh said.
Huang, however, said that the conclusions reached at a public hearing held by the operator in March, 1999, had been fabricated because most residents opposed the project.
Mayor Hsieh had promised not to issue an operator license until matters concerning people over the issue were clarified.
Huang and other representatives said they would not raise any objection if the city government relocated the incinerator.
Hsieh was reluctant to respond to this idea yesterday.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as