Chu Mei-feng (璩美鳳), disgraced after she was filmed having sex with a married man, is planning to marry a Chinese man and settle in Shanghai, a report said yesterday.
Chu's new love is a man from the Shanghai literary circle who was introduced to her by former legislator Elmer Fung (馮滬祥), the China-based Yangcheng Evening News said.
The report cited Fung as saying Chu and her boyfriend, identified only by his surname Xu, were planning to get married this month, but because of their hectic schedules they will delay the wedding until the end of the year.
Xu is a Nanjing native who studied abroad in Spain and loves music and literature, it said.
Chu shot to notoriety last December when she was filmed by an estranged friend having sex with a married man.
The 40-minute video compact disc was given away free by a tabloid magazine, Scoop, and spread throughout Asia via the Internet and black markets.
Pirated copies of the video were snapped up by a curious public in China, not used to having access to any juicy details about the private lives of politicians.
A book about Chu, which she authorized a ghost writer to pen and published in China, has become a bestseller, despite a lack of promotion.
Chu was quoted in the book saying she was disappointed in Taiwanese society and has found some peace of mind since moving to China.
"She gave her younger life to Taiwan society, but now, when she watches Taiwanese television, she changes the channel whenever she sees a political figure," the report said.
Chu has cashed in on her notoriety by launching a singing career, and has performed to sell-out crowds in both Singapore and Hong Kong.
However, she was banned from performing in Malaysia on the grounds that she was a bad role model for young people.
She has also been criticized for her singing ability.
Now, Chu is planning to become an English-Chinese interpreter, the report said.
The former politician dismisses criticisms of her behavior, considering herself brave for bouncing back after the scandal, it said.
"She likes herself better than before," the newspaper report quoted the book as saying.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a