DPP lawmaker Cheng Yu-chen (
He reiterated his intent to divorce his wife and admitted fathering an illegitimate daughter with another woman two decades ago.
Cheng's estranged wife, Lu Pei-ying (
PHOTO: CNA
Cheng, whose triangular romance has drawn a lot of media attention, took a deep bow in an apologetic gesture during a news conference in Los Angeles but insisted he would not part with his assistant, Sophie Wang (
"I'm sorry my [romantic] affair has caused such a stir in Taiwan," said Cheng, flanked by Wang and his lawyer, Chiu Chang (邱彰). "I was like a drifter until I met Sophie. I will spend the rest of my life with her and hope the public will understand and wish us the best."
Cheng said he would quit the DPP and even resign as a lawmaker if his party and supporters found his decision unacceptable.
"I'm willing to withdraw from the party's caucus to take responsibility for my extramarital affair," he told reporters. "If this is not enough, I'm willing to quit the party and resign as a legislator."
Several people have reportedly phoned his Taipei office to condemn his "irresponsible" behavior and express sympathy for his wife.
Cheng, 56, said that since he turned 50, he no longer harbors ambitions of any kind. Calling himself crushed and disgraceful, he added he would not return to Taiwan until he obtains a divorce.
"As an old saying goes, a man must mend his household before seeking to serve his country. I don't have the nerve to face my constituents unless I put a end to this mess," the lawmaker said.
He conceded he lied about his marital status when he married Wang on July 2 in Las Vegas and that he would shoulder any legal consequences.
"I uphold the principle of monogamy," Cheng said. "So I plead that Lu will divorce me, as I love Wang and intend to go through any legal procedures to be with her."
His lawyer cited Nevada codes as saying that anyone who resides in the US state for six weeks may seek a divorce in local courts. She argued that Cheng's second marriage, conducted without an open wedding ceremony, would not be recognized in Taiwan and therefore Cheng could not be prosecuted.
Cheng broke into tears when a reporter read a letter from his daughter urging him to come home.
He expressed grave regrets that his other family members had been dragged into the matter but hoped they would be strong and independent.
"Be strong and more useful than your dad and take care of your mom," Cheng said. He and Lu had one son and one daughter during their 30-year marriage.
The lawmaker did not deny that he fathered another daughter out of wedlock more than 20 years ago and that he sought a divorce at that time.
"This time I will not relent, now that I have found my true love," Cheng said.
His emotional revelations drew a tearful reply from his first wife, who read out a letter to Cheng during a news conference in Taipei two hours later.
In the letter Lu said she had not seen her husband for a long time and that she didn't even know how to contact him.
She indirectly charged her husband of being promiscuous, but did not comment on the divorce request except to say she was worried about Cheng being guilty of bigamy.
"I am afraid he has violated marriage codes against bigamy here and in the US," a weeping Lu told reporters.
She pressed Cheng to come home soon, saying she didn't know how to help him otherwise.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as