Family members of DPP Legislator Cheng Yu-cheng (鄭余鎮) said yesterday they would sue Sophie Wang (王筱嬋), Chen's assistant, for adultery, one day after the two spoke to the media of their romance.
The family members said they were acting to appease angry voters in Cheng's constituency in Taipei County over the affair.
Cheng and Wang, now in Los Angeles, made public their love story for the first time in an interview with Formosa TV that was broadcast on Thursday.
Holding hands and gazing affectionately at each other, Cheng and Wang confirmed that they had married, even though Cheng has yet to divorce his wife in Taiwan, and showed off their wedding rings.
Cheng said Wang was "a gift given to him from God."
Cheng said he had wanted to divorce his wife, Lu Pei-ying (
Cheng said he would like to apologize to his wife for ending the marriage in this way but that he would never return to her.
"Our love [with Wang] is faultless and crimeless? Outsiders will not understand the problems of my family," Cheng said.
Cheng's affair came to light earlier this month after his wife attempted to assert her "first-wife" status by volunteering to serve constituents at his legislative office while he was in China with Wang.
Cheng's relatives have accused Wang of using witchcraft and magic to seduce him.
Cheng and Wang married in July in the US, even though Cheng has yet to divorce his wife and bigamy is illegal in Taiwan. The couple departed for the US last week to avoid media attention.
Cheng said in the interview that he would come back to Taiwan once the legislative session starts in September to tackle his family troubles, after originally saying he would stay in the US.
Lu made no comment after the interview was broadcast, but Cheng's family decided to file a lawsuit against Wang for adultery and offences against marriage and family.
Cheng's office in Hsinchuang, in Taipei County, has temporarily closed since the scandal came to light.
Wang, who used to be a TV actress, hit the headlines in 2000 after KMT lawmaker John Chang (
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as