Two-term DPP Legislator Chen Chung-hsin (
The move is widely seen as a gesture of goodwill toward China, which has said that it will reject contact with the DPP unless the party alters clauses in its charter that advocate independence for Taiwan.
Playing down his pro-China views, Chen told reporters at a press conference on Thursday, at which the appointments of 12 other administrative officers of the party were announced, that the DPP's China policies weren't likely to change significantly in the future.
"Since collective leadership is a well-established tradition within the party, it's impossible for me alone to change the party's China policy, which is a politically sensitive issue," he said.
Changing the charter
Commenting on China's demand that the party alter its charter to eliminate clauses that advocate Taiwan's independence, he said that there was definitely room for discussion.
"As long as the party reaches a consensus, there's a possibility there," he said.
However, the interaction between Taiwan and China should be based on an equal footing, he said.
"What contributes to the instability across the Taiwan Strait is the structural problem. As both sides have lost trust in each other, you simply cannot change the situation overnight," Chen said. "Although structural differences cannot be resolved, they can be effectively managed."
The DPP's China policies have gradually developed over the years from "marching west" to the "new middle way" to "four no's" and, most recently, the "Tatan talk."
The "four no's" are: no declaration of independence; no changing Taiwan's formal name from the Republic of China; no enshrining in the Constitution of former president Lee Teng-hui's (李登輝) redefinition of cross-strait relations as "state-to-state" in nature; and no endorsing a referendum on independence.
The "Tatan talk" refers to the statement by President Chen Shui-bian (
In his speech, the president said he would push for a high-level DPP delegation to visit China to pursue a resumption of formal cross-strait dialogue after he takes up the post of DPP chairman.
He also promised that the government would further liberalize the "small three links," which Taipei launched in January last year to allow direct transport, trade and postal exchanges between Kinmen and Matsu with Chinese ports.
The president's speech was in response to Beijing's offer to talk to non-independence-minded DPP members.
Time is ripe
Backing the president's stance, Chen Chung-hsin said that the time was ripe for both sides of the Taiwan Strait to sit down and talk about "direct links" as Chinese leaders are set to hand over power to the next generation at the 16th National Congress of the Chinese Communist Party this fall.
"It's such an ideal time to talk about the issue that if no progress is made, both sides will lose momentum," he said.
His remark echoed that of Chen Yunlin (
The Legislative Yuan is scheduled to review draft amendments to the Statute Governing Relations between the People of Taiwan Area and Mainland Area (
Chinese Vice Premier Qian Qichen (
Pragmatism
Chen Chung-hsin, however, dis-missed talk that the government is extensively changing its China policies.
"While formal communication across the Strait has come to a standstill, we have to find a way, in any pragmatic way possible, to break the ice," he said.
"The bottom line, however, is to resume dialogue and interaction to reach the ultimate goal of political stability."
He also proposed changing the party's rules that force party members wanting to visit China to visit in the capacity of a DPP party member.
"The rule definitely deserves further discussion," he said.
Chin Heng-wei (
"I remember he was fired one day after joining the paper as the editor of the international desk because of his involvement in the Formosa Incident," he said. "Since he's so talented, I hired him immediately afterward."
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as