Military officials argued yesterday that defector Justin Lin (
Lin, now a well-known economist in China, was treated like the "chosen one" in the late 1970s because of his choice of the military over academia.
His choice was greatly appreciated by military leaders at the time, since it was quite rare to have an academically successful person like Lin volunteer to join the armed forces.
Lin was already a freshman at National Taiwan University (NTU), the country's top university, when he quit and enrolled at the army academy in 1972.
Lin then became a propaganda tool, as the armed services were eager to use Lin to attract talented youth.
Former military leaders like Chief of the General-Staff General Lai Ming-tan (
An army general, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said they couldn't understand why Lin, who was so honored, would have deserted his post on frontline Kinmen and defect to China in May 1979.
The general also served on Kinmen under Major General Chou Chung-nan (
Despite the incident, Chou still managed to reach the position of commander-in-chief of the Taiwan garrison command.
"There had been no sign which would have indicated that Lin might be planning to defect. After we found Lin missing, we still couldn't be sure where he had gone," the general said.
"According to past custom, the Chinese military would fire propaganda rockets into the air each time a Taiwanese serviceman defected. No such move was made in the wake of Lin's disappearance," he said.
"Since we had no idea what had become of him, for many years we took Lin as missing. He was originally called Lin Cheng-yi (
"Lin admitted around 10 years ago that he was indeed the Taiwanese officer called Lin Cheng-yi. This is evidence we could use against him if he comes back to Taiwan," he said.
An official with the Presidential Office, who had personal contact with Lin, said although Lin is a highly respected economist in China, he is just a propaganda tool to the Beijing government.
"There is no way to know how important Lin is to the Chinese government. But one thing is for sure -- he has been used by Beijing to befriend people from Taiwan, including former government officials," the official said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as