Premier Yu Shyi-kun may have to wait until the end of next month to move into his new official residence -- the former home of late chief of the general staff Peng Meng-chi (
Yu had originally planned to move into the house by last month.
Cabinet spokesman Chuang Suo-hang (
"It takes a tremendous amount of time and effort to fix an 80-year-old house," Chuang said. "Besides, there are certain procedures to go through, including finding a suitable contractor to carry out the restoration project."
The Cabinet had originally planned to spend over NT$1.5 million to fix the roughly 1,000-ping complex located at the intersection of Chinhua Street and Lishui Street in downtown Taipei.
The price tag, however, went up to NT$7 million after Yu decided to move into the main building of the house for security reasons instead of the second floor of a building which is in the best condition and requires the least amount of restoration work.
There are four buildings and a swimming pool in the complex. While Yu and his wife, who have been renting an apartment on Hsinyi Road since Yu was appointed secretary-general to the president last October, will live in the main building, 43 of the couple's entourage and security guards will stay in two of the buildings.
The fourth building, which is next to the pool, will be left as is. The restoration expenses of this building are estimated to be in the millions of NT dollars.
To save money, the swimming pool will be neither fixed nor used in the future and the premier will bring in his own furniture.
Residents living in the area expressed divided views yesterday over the expected arrival of their new neighbors.
Lan Chun-yin (
"I don't see any reason to reject a neighbor who comes from your own hometown," said Lan, a native of Yilan County.
Lan's wife, Tien Ruei-ling (
"Our store has been broken into about three times since we rented it about six years ago," Tien said. "Burglaries are common here in this area and it seems to get worse everyday."
A 60-year-old area resident, Cheng Yi-ho (
"It doesn't matter who lives in that house, as long as it's safe in this area," said Cheng, who has been running a photocopy and printing store on the first floor of his house for about 15 years.
Cheng recalled the tense days when the former armed-forces head still lived in the residence.
"Every so often we saw a group of armed military police rushing to the area to crack down on protests staged by dangwai dissidents," he said.
Another resident of 15 years who asked not to be named, however, said that he personally does not welcome Yu to the area.
"I personally think he's another shameless politician who feels perfectly comfortable not keeping his word," he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as