Although the frequency of aftershocks following Sunday's earthquake has fallen dramatically, residents should remain alert for more mini-temblors over the next month, seismologists from the Central Weather Bureau said yesterday
More than 300 aftershocks had been registered by yesterday evening. The strongest, registering 4.9 on the Richter scale, occurred at 4:02pm on Sunday afternoon.
The next-strongest registered 4.8 on the Richter scale, occurring at 1:09am yesterday in Ilan. The epicenter was 10.7km southeast of the bureau's Nanau seismic monitoring station in Ilan County.
Although the number of aftershocks had fallen from 40 in the first hour after the quake to five or six per hour yesterday morning, officials said, strong temblors were still possible over the next few weeks.
"Sometimes aftershocks of a strong earthquake continue to occur in the following two weeks, or even up to one month," Kuo Kai-wen (
Seismologists yesterday stressed again that Sunday's earthquake was a normal release of accumulated energy inside the planet and that strong quakes measuring above 6 on the Richter scale happen every few years.
The bureau also said its system to disseminate emergency earthquake information worked well, with the first crucial information compiled within a minute.
The system, composed of 62 monitoring stations around the island, was launched in December 1994.
Within three minutes of Sunday's quake, details had been sent to fire departments, state-run transportation and power systems, government agencies and the media.
The bureau also sent information via the Internet and the country's pager system.
But officials warned that, while issuing alarms to the public could reduce the impact, there was still no reliable way of predicting future earthquakes.
Officials say they are working on improving the system to reduce the period of time to notify cities 100km away from the epicenter to 30 seconds by the end of 2009.
If they succeed, urban centers could be warned of an earthquake before the seismic waves arrive.
Sunday's earthquake, which occurred off the coast of Hualien, caused a lot of damage in Taipei, roughly 100km from the epicenter.
According to the bureau, it takes 30 seconds for seismic waves to travel from Hualien to Taipei.
Had the real-time monitoring system been in operation, they said, it could have notified Taipei within 20 seconds of detecting the quake. The 10-second warning would be enough to cut the power supply to some areas, thereby reducing the risk of fire, it said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as