Japanese boxing is at “a crucial moment” and could cease to exist if it does not radically improve safety, Japan Boxing Commission (JBC) secretary-general Tsuyoshi Yasukochi said following the deaths of two fighters.
Super featherweight Shigetoshi Kotari and lightweight Hiromasa Urakawa, both 28, fought on the same card at Tokyo’s Korakuen Hall on Aug. 2 and died days later following brain surgery.
The deaths have shaken the Japanese boxing world to the core, with authorities investigating the causes and debating measures to prevent further tragedies.
Photo: Kyodo News via AP
Yasukochi said that they cannot afford to botch their response and that the future of the sport is at stake.
“If we don’t improve things, this sport won’t be able to continue. If the people involved in the sport can’t improve things, we will have to quit,” he said. “I understand that we are at a crucial moment where a sport that has been around for 100 years could potentially disappear.”
“I think everyone is working every day with that mindset,” he added.
Japanese boxing authorities are considering a raft of new measures to make the sport safer.
They include urine tests to measure dehydration and stricter rules on boxers’ rapid weight loss.
Dehydration caused by cutting weight rapidly is regarded as a factor in making the brain more susceptible to bleeding, the World Boxing Association said.
Authorities hope to announce concrete plans next month and pledged that “everyone feels a strong sense of urgency,” Yasukochi said.
“When a person dies it’s something that has a big impact,” he said. “If you don’t feel that, then you’re not qualified to be involved in boxing.”
Kotari and Urakawa’s deaths came less than two years after another Japanese boxer, Kazuki Anaguchi, died following a December 2023 bout in Tokyo.
In May, Ginjiro Shigeoka collapsed after a fight in Osaka and underwent brain surgery.
The 25-year-old remains in a coma, but is no longer in a life-threatening condition, the JBC said.
Last week, authorities said that an amateur boxer in Japan had not regained consciousness two weeks after undergoing emergency brain surgery following a sparring session.
Yasukochi said Japanese boxing was “at a crossroads.”
“Some people might say that this is a sport where such accidents can happen, but we can’t afford to think that way,” he said. “These things keep happening and we can’t brush them off as coincidences. We need to investigate the causes and manage the aftermath.”
Memphis Grizzlies forward Brandon Clarke, 29, has died, the NBA team said in a statement on Tuesday, while the family of Jason Collins, the first openly gay man to play in a major US pro sports league, announced the former Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets player had died after a battle with brain cancer. “We are heartbroken by the tragic loss of Brandon Clarke,” the Grizzlies said in a statement posted on social media. “Brandon was an outstanding teammate and an even better person whose impact on the organization and the greater Memphis community will not be forgotten.” The statement did not provide
Mathys Tel was hero and villain as Tottenham drew 1-1 at home to Leeds United on Monday — a result that leaves their English Premier League future hanging in the balance. The Frenchman broke the deadlock early in the second half to ease the tension at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, but then gave away a penalty with a reckless attempted clearance. In the dying minutes, Spurs were grateful to Antonin Kinsky, who produced an astonishing save to deny the visitors a win. Tottenham are now two points clear of 18th-placed West Ham United with just two games left this season. The
Houston Astros right-hander Teng Kai-wei, the only active Taiwanese pitcher in MLB, on Sunday suffered his third loss of the season, throwing a season-high 63 pitches in his second start of the year. Teng allowed three earned runs over three innings on five hits in the Astros’ 5-0 road loss to the Cincinnati Reds. He struck out one, walked one, and hit one batter among the 15 hitters he faced, raising his earned run average to 3.12. It was the Astros’ second attempt to use the 27-year-old Taiwanese as a starter, after he had established himself as a reliable bullpen
‘DONE IT ALL’: LeBron James is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season as a free agent with uncertainty swirling around his future LeBron James on Monday said he would take time to consider his future after the Los Angeles Lakers were swept out of the NBA playoffs by the Oklahoma City Thunder in what could turn out to be the final game of his career. James, 41, delivered a typically defiant performance with 24 points and 12 rebounds, but it was not enough to prevent the Lakers from falling 115-110 as the Thunder completed a 4-0 sweep in the Western Conference semi-finals series. The four-time NBA champion is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season